Strange Sounds
S

Comet 2

Mysterious booms worry residents in Osceola and Polk counties, Florida

It's the bump in the night that has Osceola County residents asking each other "Did you hear that?"

We've gotten email after email, not to mention Facebook posts, from people who say they're hearing a boom around the same time every night. Not even the Osceola County Sheriff's Office has an answer.

"It was like a 'BOOM!' Then, the windows kinda shook," said Kissimmee resident Daryl Mercado.

"A loud BOOM sound...like they throwed a bomb," explained young AJ.

His mother, Lori Chezem, said, "Loud booms. It reminds me of when the space shuttle used to come in -- the Sonic Boom."

Kids and adults alike are talking about it. But what exactly is it?

Chezem is in St. Cloud and was one of the people who emailed us about these mysterious booms. We're also hearing from people in Kissimmee and even as far away as Haines City in Polk County.

Snowflake Cold

Mysterious loud boom shakes homes, this time in Calgary, Canada

Could it not have been a smaller version of one of these? Why 'frost quakes'?!
Speculation and confusion swirled after a loud boom could be heard through parts of northwest Calgary on Tuesday afternoon.

It was enough to rattle the windows at Crowfoot General Paints and baffle residents in the area.

James Cormier-Chisholm says he's never heard anything like it before.

Comment: Convenient. So they have zero data on which to base their assumption that it was a so-called 'frost quake'.

Remember the part about "never heard anything like it before"?

If it was "just a frost-quake, yeh, nuthin to worry about", don't you think folks would have heard them before?!

The description of a sharp, short thunderclap is actually consistent with descriptions of meteor fireballs exploding overhead.

Fireball 5

Did you hear the loud boom over Illinois?

File photo
Viewers have called, emailed and sent Facebook messages to our newsroom questioning where this boom noise came from. TV-6 spoke with people on both sides of the river--from Davenport to Rock Island. We don't know much about where the noise came from, but some of you say you heard it.

"I heard a really loud boom," said Chris Rice.

"I heard a rumble," said Tanisha Douglas.

" I heard a pretty big explosion," said Logan Edwards.

A noise so loud that some of you say it startled you and caused your homes and businesses to shake.

"I expected to see a mushroom cloud when I went out there off in the distance," said Rice.

We contacted the police and fire departments, airport, the Rock Island Arsenal and even spoke with our meteorologist about what it could be, but no one knows.

"I haven't heard anything that loud since leaving Iraq in 2007," said Edwards.

"It sounded like something really big on the street. Like something rolling by on the street and then there was a rumble, too," said Douglas

Whether the noise was a rumble, explosion or boom, some of you tell us, this isn't the first time you've heard it.

"On January 14th I heard the sound," said Rice. "I'm used to hearing really loud sounds because I live near the river. I hear trains, barges. I've always lived near the arsenal. I hear all types of sounds, but this one was way louder."

The mystery remains unsolved....

Watch Video

Music

'Independence Day alien invasion hits Coventry' - residents baffled by mystery loud droning noise during storms

Independence Day
© 20th Century FoxAlien invasion in Coventry? Loud droning has been heard during the storms
A mystery loud droning noise 'like Independence Day' has been reported in the skies above Coventry.

The sounds - compared to something out of the hit blockbuster film about alien invasion - have been audible during recent stormy weather.

Reports have described a loud noise in the sky which lasted around one minute and was heard by residents in Whitley, Walsgrave, Stoke and Wyken. Mitch Wise, 19, from Walsgrave, said the noise was so loud he could hear it inside his house despite all the windows and doors being closed.

He said: "I did think it sounded like something out of Independence Day, that kind of noise.

"I was just in my bedroom when I heard this loud noise outside my house. I looked outside my window, but I couldn't see anything.

"I saw two guys looking up to the sky outside. It was scary!

"I thought it was thunder at first but it was too long to be that or a jet.

"It was like a loud droning noise that lasted about a minute. I was just confused, I couldn't work out what it was.

"It was a lot louder than a lorry going past. It was loud with all the windows closed, but when I opened them it was really loud."

Another reader told the Coventry Telegraph the noise sounded like a hurricane.

Fireball 4

Loud boom shakes homes in Oregon, no USGS earthquake reports: What was it?

Dozens of people from Lincoln County to Tillamook County reported hearing a loud boom and feeling the ground shake earlier today. Beaver resident Josh Sisco said he felt it.

"Twice and I assumed it was a sonic boom," Sisco posted on thenewsguard.com Facebook page.

Lincoln City Police said they took only two calls, one from Neskowin and the other from a person at 14th Street in Lincoln City, both reporting a boom and ground shaking. Several people have posted comments on The News Guard's sister publication in Tillamook, The Headlight Herald:

"It shook the house," wrote Heather Hurliman.

"Yes, I live in Netarts, and and went running out to see what it was only to find nothing," wrote Ken Hawes. "I felt the house shake as well. It was more of a rumble."

"We heard it here in Rockaway," wrote Racheal Young. "It was loud and shook the house."

Music

Mysterious humming sound in UK leaves residents baffled - Council issues noise diaries

Mystery Sound
© This is Local LondonHum: Is it coming from Surbiton Station?
A mysterious background hum has led Kingston Council to issue noise diaries to Surbiton residents.

The noise has been an irritation for weeks, but the source of the noise itself remains unknown.

One Surbiton forum user said: "I can only describe it [as] white noise and quite low frequency."

Another added: "The noise is very low frequency and is a humming, whirling motor sound. You can hear the sound in every room of our flat."

Glenbuck Road and Avenue Elmers residents reported hearing the hum throughout the day and night.

Forum users speculated it may be emanating from within Surbiton station, or behind McDonald's.

Meteor

Booms and tremors in Ocean City, Maryland blamed on military jets (yeah, right!)

© Knowledgenuts.com
Michael Maykrantz was on duty at a fire house on 74th street in Ocean City when the floor began to shake and the doors started to rattle.

At Bart Rader's house in Ocean Pines, a loud boom "like somebody blew something up" preceded shaking so heavy that it rattled a 50-pound metal sculpture against the wall.

Miles away in Annapolis, Ocean City Mayor Rick Meehan was meeting in state Sen. James Mathias' office when he got a text message from his daughter: "What the heck was that?"

A series of tremors rattled residents across Ocean City and the lower Delmarva Peninsula around midday Thursday, puzzling geologists and emergency managers. Within a few hours, geologists ruled out an earthquake, and by Thursday evening, signs pointed to supersonic jets flying from the Patuxent Naval Air Station.

Air station officials said Friday two jets were in the air off the coast at the time the rumbling was felt, and that weather conditions made it likely that sonic booms could have traveled further than normal.

The phenomenon nevertheless mystified many, including Maykrantz.

"We've had sonic booms in town before, but this seemed different," said the firefighter and paramedic. "It was more sustained, and then there was a pause for about a minute and then it started again."

Comment: Wow, the media has bought this line about military jets and 'frost quakes', hook, line and sinker!

From Meteorites, Asteroids, and Comets: Damages, Disasters, Injuries, Deaths, and Very Close Calls:
"Over the past few years, while SOTT.net has been tracking the increasing flux of fireballs and meteorites entering the earth's atmosphere, we have been, by turns, amused and horrified at the ignorant reactions and declarations that issue from academia and the media regarding these incursions. A few years ago, we read that "this is a 'once in a hundred years' event!" Not long after it was a "once in a lifetime" event. Still later, after a lot more incidents it became a "once in a decade" event. More recently, it has been admitted in some quarters that meteorites hit the ground (as opposed to safely burning up in the atmosphere) several times a year! And of course, we have discovered the fact that the governments of our planet are well aware that there are atmospheric explosions from such bodies numerous times a year. We have also learned in this series that the frequent reports of unusual booms and shaking of the ground is often due to such overhead explosions. Yet the media steadfastly refuses to honestly address this issue, though we have noted a plethora of recent articles presenting opposing academic arguments designed to put the populace back to sleep, to reassure them that there is nothing to worry about, that such things only happen every 100,000 years or so, and certainly, the Space Watch Program is going to find all the possible impactors and take care of things."

Galaxy

Heaven and Earth: Unusual natural events and strange phenomena from around the world in January 2014

© AP
This video compiles footages of strange phenomena of all kinds, including awesome natural events or beautiful phenomena from around the world in the last few weeks.

In just the last couple of weeks, we've seen:

Volcanic eruptions in Sicily and Indonesia and elsewhere - 'Sky trumpet sounds' in Iceland, and loud booms shaking homes all over the US - Large earthquake in New Zealand, and an ongoing heatwave in Australia - Giant boulders falling off a mountain Italy and record flooding across Europe - More 'spinning ice-river' circles, this time in Norway - Strange cloud cover producing pretty sunsets and unusual light refraction, including a spectacular sun halo over Moscow - More mass animal deaths - More meteor fireballs falling from the sky, and 'hole-punch clouds'! - More UFO sightings - Massive electrical storms, including a super-electrical storm in Rio de Janeiro that produced an interesting omen: a thunderbolt struck the giant statue of Jesus above the city!... There were also major electrical storms in Europe... and this in the middle of winter! - Tornado outbreaks in the UK, which are unusual even in the summer - Thousands of wildfires breaking out in some of the coldest places on the planet - UK's wettest January in 250 years as the island continues to be pummeled with storm after storm...

I covered events from earlier in January and late December 2013 here.

Check out the rest of this series here.

Fireball 5

Earthquake in Groningen actually sonic boom?

Seismograph
© WikipediaSeismographic reading.
This week, the province of Groningen felt what was thought to be another earthquake, but this was tuesday evening confirmed more likely to be a sonic boom. The Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI) confirmed no activity was seen on a seismograph, but the institute did record a bang in the atmosphere to the north of Ameland, a spokesperson says.

A little after 10 on Tuesday evening, Twitter blew up with messages about the earthquake. People also called the media with the report. The messages claimed it was a big one, too.

Most of the tremors were felt in a relatively small area, but reports also came from Drenthe and south-east Friesland. Richard van Dijk, a resident from Loppersum, where earthquakes are frequently experienced from the fracking by NAM in the area, reported that the front of his house was sinking.

On Twitter, residents from Ulrum, Middelstum and Loppersom said they felt tremors. People living further away like Groningen, Assen and Haulerwijk, reportedly felt "quakes".

Expert Theo Jurriens from the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen expects that it was not a meteor, because there were no messages from eye witnesses. "Then it would have been a big one, and that we would have seen", he said around midnight. According to the NOS, the KNMI will still investigate this possibility.

"Possibly, it was a jet passing through the sound barrier", Theo says.

Defense claims no responsibility for the bang. "But it is not clear. It could be an aircraft from another country that was flying above the North Sea" Jurriens says.

In 1992, the bang of a jet was heard, but nothing was seen, and even the church got damaged.

Meteor

'Sonic booms', 'frost-quakes', and now another lame explanation for overhead explosions: Loud booms in Chesterfield, Virginia blamed on exploding tannerite

File photo of a meteor fireball
Several mysterious booms heard in Chesterfield and the Tri-Cities were likely caused by exploding targets made with tannerite.

Tannerite targets can be bought over-the-counter at sporting goods stores, usually in half-pound or pound jars. However, bulk exploding tannerite targets are available online.

Justin Watkins, 28, fired off 20 pounds of tannerite Saturday afternoon. Watkins says he and many neighbors in the area shoot off the loud, exploding targets in the woods. Tannerite targets are perfectly legal, if used properly.

"We spent close to $100 on just 20 pounds of (tannerite)," said Watkins.

Neighbors were certainly shocked by Saturday's blast and the series of explosions heard intermittently over the last few weeks.

"It was like an explosion and it startled us. It shook the house, and we weren't sure what it was," said Beth Wilson, who was rattled after the big boom on Saturday.

Comment: All the 'booms' cannot be attributed to exploding tannerite because they don't fit the description of loud booms that "shake houses" and are heard "around the county and beyond". Here are two videos of 20 pounds of tannerite exploding:

It's quite loud, and indeed it could shake a nearby house, but it's not going to be heard for miles around and it's not going to startle people if they're used to tannerite going off.