Strange Sounds
S

Comet

Another overhead explosion: People baffled after being awoken by sound 'like single explosion' echoing across East Yorkshire, UK

© UnknownThe mysterious sound woke people up across Hull and East Yorkshire
Baffled families were woken by a mysterious loud bang heard across East Yorkshire early this morning. Dozens of people from Hull to Withernsea took to social media after hearing the noise echo through the skies at about 3.30am.

Others posted about the sound from as far away as Cleethorpes and Derby. Many believed a thunderclap was to blame but the Met Office said there was no storm in the area at the time.

Writing on the Mail's Facebook page, Alan Key said the noise "woke us up and scared us to death. People say it was thunder but to me it sounded more like an explosion."

Friends in Beverley and west Hull told Mr Key they also heard the sound. Karen Holdstock, who lives in the Greatfield estate, said it woke her too.

Martin Hardcastle said it sounded like "amazingly loud thunder" at his house in Withernsea and Ruth Clarkson reported it in Patrington.

Michelle Ketley posted saying she was frightened by how sudden it was.

She wrote: "I've been thinking about it all morning. I was shaking when it woke me up and I'm not scared of thunder at all. It was very bizarre."

Twitter users have also been discussing the sound today.

Fireball 2

'Frost-quakes' or overhead meteor explosions? Massive boom shakes houses in Toronto

As temperatures around Toronto and across Ontario drop to -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit), residents are reporting frost quakes that are powerful enough to shake houses and rattle nerves.

Usually found in extreme polar regions, the recent outbreak of frost quakes, known to meteorologists as cryoseisms, are now affecting many residents of Toronto, Canada's most populous city.

The weather-related phenomenon, which can feel like an earthquake, happens when water and moisture deep underground freeze as the temperature drops.

Frost quakes typically occur between midnight and dawn, the coldest part of the night, thus many residents are being jolted awake by the booming sounds.

Comment: So rare and yet, so commonly used of late to explain 'mystery booms' ...

SOTT.net sez 'BS alert!'

This is what cryoseisms sound like, nothing like a "sudden explosive sound that shook my whole house."

Given that fireballs are raining all over the place, isn't it far more likely these folks are hearing overhead meteor explosions?

Multiple fireballs: Over 1,400 reports in 48 hours from coast to coast; booms; ground shaking, house shaking explosion

Fireball 5

Mysterious loud boom rattles, rolls most of Texas City

Loud Boom
© KRISTV.comStillshot from video below.
Corpus Christi - A loud boom Sunday evening sent many people out of their homes and sent emergency crews scouring the city for answers.

The city's 911 system was flooded with calls around 630PM from people all over town, who either heard the boom, or had their homes shake from the sound wave. Reports of the boom stretch from the Rodd Field and Yorktown area to downtown and many places in between.

But after an extensive search of the area, no evidence of an explosion or fire was ever found.

No one knows for sure where the boom came from or what caused it. It's quite possible that the sound might have been a sonic boom from a passing aircraft. An investigation is underway.

Fireball 5

Loud boom that shook the Brainerd lakes area, Minnesota seems consistent with meteor event

Still from security camera footage of the fireball meteor seen across the Midwest last Friday 27 December, 2013.
Residents in the Brainerd lakes area reported seeing flashes of light streaking across the sky and hearing a boom that rattled homes and buildings, and meteorologists say the reports are consistent with a meteor event.

The reports started flowing in to authorities on Friday between 9:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m., the Brainerd Dispatch reported. Some residents said they saw a turquoise streak light up the sky, and others say a bright light illuminated their homes, even darkened rooms where the drapes were closed.

There's been no confirmation of a meteor, said Kevin Kraujalis, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. However, the reports seem consistent with what happens when a meteor enters the atmosphere, he said.

"There's no other explanation," Kraujalis said. He added that there were reports of meteor sightings the previous night in southern Minnesota and northern Iowa.

It's possible there will never be confirmation. If there were a meteor, it may have burned up completely in the atmosphere. If it broke into pieces, the fragments might never be found, particular since the sightings occurred in a rural area that's not densely populated.

Fireball 5

Massive overhead explosion in Phoenix, Arizona produces sonic boom and leaves lingering pungent smell for miles around

Yet another fireball over Arizona created a sonic boom, this time on December 10, 2013. I live in the Chandler area of Arizona and stepped outside that evening and both saw and smelled a strange smoke that lingered in the air afterwards for over an hour.

Comment: There's an incredible twist in the tale of this meteor report.

As readers can see, the above eyewitness maintains his own YouTube channel where he posts informative updates about some of the meteor fireball events taking place these days.

In his video report of December 4th, he played down the suggestion from someone commenting on his channel that Earth passing through ISON's tail or debris field might result in some kind of cyanide gas coming down through our atmosphere, saying:
"I don't think a gas is gonna come drifting through, so let's not worry about that..."
But then, just days later, a meteor fireball practically detonates above his head and leaves a 'strange smell' and 'visible haze' in his neighborhood!
A photo posted by 'Fire in the Sky News' YT user, showing the 'smelly haze' lit up by nearby school sports-field floodlights. Despite denying such was possible in his previous report, the eyewitness now suspects this 'fireworks-like smell' may have been the result of an overhead meteor explosion.

Meteor

Another overhead explosion? Unexplained blast concerns Blair County, Pennsylvania, residents

An unexplained blast Thursday has local residents concerned and shaken up. The shock waves were felt within about a 12-mile radius in the Morrison's Cove area of Martinsburg. Police said they got reports from all over the area asking what caused what people are describing as a blast. There are no reports of any injuries or damage, but there is still no explanation for the blast and police said they've ruled out fracking.

Comment: Interestingly enough, for the past several days there have been other cases of "unexplained blasts" and "strange explosions". Connection? We definitely think so.

'Massive explosion' in North San Diego county still a mystery
Big explosion in Jackson, Indiana 'a mystery'
Loud explosions rock houses in Connecticut, authorities haven't a clue what caused them

Fireball 2

Meteor confirmed as cause of loud boom in Quebec, Ontario

Meteor
© CTV News ChannelMeteor may have lit up the night sky - Astronomers search for answers after sonic boom.
It's now confirmed: the loud boom and flash of light many people spotted Tuesday evening from Montreal as far west as Ottawa was a meteor entering the earth's atmosphere. Researchers at the University of Western Ontario said the rock from space passed over Montreal at around 8 p.m. from north to south. They were able to confirm the phenomenon by sounds from shock waves picked up by acoustic ground sensors around Montreal and upper New York state. NASA's Meteor Environment Office had been searching for footage of a meteor captured by its cameras, but cameras were obscured by thick clouds.

Geologist Richard Herd, a retired curator of the National Meteorite Collection for the federal government, said all indications suggested it was a meteoroid. That's a rock from space that passes through the Earth's atmosphere.

"It came in very rapidly...and so that's indicative. There was some ballistic shock from this thing, which is typical even of a small object," Herd said.

Comment: News coverage of the event, courtesy of Global Toronto:

Fireball 5

'Massive explosion' in North San Diego county still a mystery

Carlsbad - Did your house shake on Sunday afternoon? You weren't alone. The cause of the loud boom and ground tremors felt and heard citywide on Sunday remains a mystery.

Theories about everything from oil rig explosions to shotgun blasts have been proposed, but city and county officials say they have no explanation as to what rattled windows and frightened animals just before 5 p.m. Sunday.

Many assumed the noise was the result of a sonic boom by military aircraft flying out of Holloman Air Force Base, but the base wasn't conducting any flights that day, said Holloman's Elah Murray.

"We stopped night flying on the 22nd of November," Murray said.

Tacy Farmer said that she was sitting in the living room of her home on North Lake Street Sunday when she and her daughter felt the boom resonate through the house.

"We all kind of paused and looked at each other, wondering 'did you feel that'," Farmer said.

"The whole house trembled and the windows shook," she said.

Residents across the city felt a similar phenomenon.

Comment: For the probable answer, look no further than the Fire in the Sky section of SOTT.net.

Moon

Strange sound recorded at the One World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan: wind?

When it gets windy in Lower Manhattan, residents report hearing a strange, high-pitched, ghostly sound from the top of One World Trade Center.

Kenny Cummings, who lives a few blocks away from One WTC, told Tribeca Citizen in an email that he first noticed the eerie whistling during Hurricane Sandy, and most recently heard the noise early on November 27:
Have you ever heard from neighbors about the wailing World Trade Center? I live a couple of blocks from the tower, and first heard this very eerie sound during Hurricane Sandy last year. I've heard it only once afterwards, sometime last winter. I assumed once the building's framework and windows went in, the airflow would be redirected.

At 3:15 a.m. Wednesday morning, I awoke to the sound. It was slightly different in timbre, with two tones this time. I couldn't be sure what it was at first, but after a moment I realized it was the Trade Center. Outside it was raining but the trees were calm. I can only imagine at that height the weather is different. I'm sure all of downtown hears this - it's unmistakable and very chilling. I had to get up and record it. [You can hear it especially well around :20.] It seemed to calm down about 5 a.m.

Fireball 4

Big explosion in Jackson, Indiana, 'a mystery'

The cause of a boom--a pretty darn loud BOOM--heard Saturday night at least as far west as Sand Creek, and at least as far east as Westville, remains unknown.

One Chesterton Tribune reader reported that the boom, sounding like a "loud explosion," occurred around 10 p.m. and "rumbled houses for five seconds." A Duneland firefighter, meanwhile, reported that it also activated car alarms.

Tom Shapen, assistant chief of the Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department, met Westville Fire Chief Sean Jacks at the scene--to the extent that there was any scene at all. Together, Shapen told the Tribune, he and Jacks conducted a search of their two jurisdictions but were unable to find any sign of an explosion or any indication of what the boom might have been or what might have caused it.

"It remains undetermined," Shapen said.

Porter County Sheriff's Police officers also responded, Sheriff Dave Lain said, and similarly turned up nothing. "No damage, no isolation even of where exactly it occurred."

Lain's best guess: "Some sort of a firework." If so, a very loud one.

Comment: SOTT.net's best guess: yet another overhead meteor explosion.