Strange Sounds
S

Megaphone

Ontario, Canada: Internet puzzled by mysterious howls coming from the woods

canada lake
© Flickr / Tyfrvmp
A series of strange and mysterious howls were recently caught on tape by a Canadian hunter, and netizens could not help but speculate about the nature of the sounds - with the craziest theories coming up, including those pointing to such legendary creatures as Sasquatch or Wendigo.

Gino Meekis was hunting grouse several kilometres from Sioux Lookout, Ontario on 3 October alongside his wife and grandson when the family heard the strangest and eeriest sounds, faintly resembling screams. The video, later posted on YouTube, has collected almost a million views, with people left guessing about who or what could have made these sounds.

Meekis, who was later approached for comment by Vice, is an experienced hunter accustomed to different sounds in the Canadian wilderness but even he was confused by the howls.

"When it let out the first scream, I thought it was a moose, but my mind changed when it screamed again and again", the hunter said. He began recording the shrieks almost straight away, as well as his grandson trying to mimic them. The family retreated to their vehicle shortly after the sounds appeared to move closer, as Meekis's wife became particularly scared of the noise.

"I've heard many different animals in the wild but nothing like this. I grew up hunting with my grandfather for the first 12 years of my life", Meekis said.

Bell

'Sounds like bells rubbing': Strange noises heard in Hillsboro, Oregon

Strange sounds (stock)
On November 7, 2019, YouTuber 'Infinite Wolf' shared footage of strange sounds he heard in the skies of Hillsboro, Oregon. He wondered if the noises were 'extra terrestrials', some 'secret government project' or an audio hallucination:

Magnify

'Sky trumpets' heard in the skies of Port Coquitlam, British Columbia

Strange sounds (stock)
© vexels.com
YouTube user 'Shandleyman' heard strange trumpeting sounds outside his home on the evening of October 14, 2019. He reports that 'trumpet/flutes-like' noise lasted 6-7 minutes:
I was in my washroom drying off after a shower and I heard something funny outside. It was a chilly night so I didn't open the window to investigate further.

About 5 minutes later, I noticed the funny noise was changing pitch as if through a chorus effect. I pulled out my phone and started recording. I only caught the tail end of it but the noise lasted a good 6 or 7 minutes.

The chorus effect is barely noticeable in this video but what you can hear is individual trumpets/flutes coming in and going out. If this was a prank, someone had quite the amplifier because this surrounded my city of Port Coquitlam.

Music

Strange trumpeting sounds heard in the Sabah, Malaysian sky

Kokol Haven Resort
© Sem LeeFile photo
On October 3, 2019, strange trumpeting sounds were heard at the Kokol Haven Resort in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. YouTuber 'lolman 20077' recorded the bizarre sounds on his cellphone:

Blackbox

Strange 'jet sounds' heard in the skies of Iasi, Romania

Strange sounds in Romania
© YouTube/Alexandru V. Diaconu
On August 11, 2019, YouTube user 'Alexandru V. Diaconu' heard strange 'jet noises' in the skies of Iasi, Romania. He uploaded video footage of the event:
It's the second time today that these jet engine sounds are blasting. It is strange because the airport isn't near my location and the planes that fly here are always high enough to not make so much noise.

This time I happened to see some smoke and a new sound following the engine sounds. I am located in Iaşi, Romania and the last time I heard these jet sounds was a couple of years ago, I have a clip posted here from then [June 26, 2014] as well.

Comment: On April 20 of this year YouTuber user 'Dumitru Daniela' posted similar footage of strange noises she heard in the skies of Tulcea, Romania, about 300 km away from Iasi:

Whistle

'Loud trumpet sounds' heard coming from the sky in North Carolina

Strange sounds (stock)
YouTube user 'ShadowBandit91' shared footage of 'trumpeting sounds' he heard in the North Carolina sky on July 15, 2019:
So, I was coming into work like normal. I got into work at 3:30am ... no construction, no loud vehicles, nothing on the two major highways. It is quiet when I come into work. I've never heard the sound before or since I've been coming into this building for 11 years (more less.)

In my 28 years of living, I've never heard a sound like this at all. It sounds like mating calls for whales or a really good trumpet player that can throw sound from hell-a-far. It was so loud when I walked into the building, I could hear it before I could even open the warehouse doors and for those of you have not seen videos of my warehouse, you can tell what doors I'm talking about. I could hear that clearly so when I stepped outside this is what I heard:

Question

Strange 'rumbling horn-like sounds' heard in northern Indiana

Strange sounds - stock
© Shihao Mei/Unsplash
On July 2, 2019, YouTube user 'iamtheicelord' uploaded footage of strange "unsettling" sounds he heard in the skies of Merrillville, Indiana:
Earlier this summer right in the middle of June 2019 my friend and I stepped outside to grab some air and started hearing these strange low rumbling horn like sounds coming from the distance. We got a couple of them I'm recording. Let us know what you think they were.

Question

Mysterious, loud rumbling noise heard across North Lincolnshire, UK

Mysterious rumbling noise in Lincolnshire, UK
© Getty ImagesLincolnshire, UK
A mystery over a loud noise which woke people up across North Lincolnshire and the surrounding area remains unsolved - although an earthquake has been ruled out.

The noise was heard around 10.30pm on Thursday last week in places including Epworth, Crowle and Gainsborough.

Some people who heard the noise initially wondered if it had been an explosion or an earthquake.

Some attributed it to a sonic boom - the noise an aircraft makes when it breaks the sound barrier - but the RAF confirmed none of its aircraft would have made the sound in the area at the time it was heard.

It happened on the same day that southern California was hit by a 6.4 magnitude earthquake, the biggest in 20 years, leading some people to believe there could be a connection.

Question

'What is that?': Strange noises heard in Tennessee

Strange sounds (stock)
On May 13, 2019, YouTube user 'D4RK-AURA' uploaded video footage of strange noises he heard in Tennessee:

Question

Residents of Cleveland, Ohio's Slavic Village report unexplained booms, flashes of light - city has no comment

Booms, flashes of light in Cleveland, OH
© WEWS
Some residents living in Cleveland's Slavic Village neighborhood are reporting and recording unexplained booms and flashes of light in the nighttime sky at all hours of the evening.

Some of the light flashes and explosions have been recorded by home outdoor security cameras and are being posted on YouTube. Some are posting comments on Facebook.

In recent weeks, the phenomenon has left residents guessing and speculating.

Community activist Edward McDonald said the sonic booms are shaking both homes and the nerves of homeowners in the area of Fleet Avenue.

"What I've heard is like a loud bang, like a boom," McDonald said. "It shakes houses, it rattles windows. It hasn't caused any destruction yet, or it hasn't caused any property damage, but it's definitely noticeable."

Comment: On May 16th, Victor Williams of 19News in Cleveland reported:
People living in the Slavic Village Community can't seem to figure out what caused the bursts of light and loud booms that have been seen and heard recently.

"I hear bang noises like boom, boom. Some parts of the sky will be lit up like florescent. Chemicals in the air maybe? Are they hiding something?" asked Victor Diaz, who lives in the area.

Initially neighbors thought the explosive sounds may have been coming from the Harvard Bridge construction right around the corner.

"I thought it was that, but there's nobody working around here and on the highway. I keep hearing these explosions. They'll wake you up," recalled Diaz.

Either way the speculation is building by the day.

19 News looked into the unexplained explosion and found out that several states all over the country have appeared to experience the same exact events.

"You start to imagine what it is and people start speculating. We never know," said Melba Cullen who also lives in the Slavic Village Community.

We know that city officials are aware of the complaints made by many of the people who have heard those noises, however the city is not commenting at this time regarding this matter.