Extreme Temperatures
S

Snowflake Cold

Frost season growing longer across Australia (and has been for years!)

kangaroo australia longer frost seasons
© Penny Ash/Pixabay
Climate experts wrong on Australian frosts, and media say nothing

The IPCC experts were sure would be less frosts in Australia, but buried in a government funded ABC weather report was the virtually unknown admission that the frost season is actually growing across southern Australia, not shrinking. And in some places by an astonishing 40 extra days a year. What's more, the researchers have known about this long term trend for years but didn't think to mention it, and the ABC didn't have a problem with that either. (It's not like farmers need to know these things?)

When asked for an explanation for the increase in frosts, the ANU climate expert said "I think this is one of those climate surprises," as if the IPCC unexpectedly won a game of Bingo, instead of getting a core weather trend 100% wrong.

We note the ABC feigned journalism to cover up for the Bureau of Meteorology and IPCC failures. Where were the headlines: "Climate Change causes more frosts, not less", or "IPCC models dangerously misleading on frosts?" Did any Australian farmers and investors buy up properties and plant the wrong crops based on the global warming misinformation repeated or tacitly endorsed by the ABC, BoM and CSIRO?

Snowflake Cold

Australians shiver through the coldest May EVER as temperatures plunge across the country

Widespread frost was reported in parts of Queensland, Northern Territory, New South Wales and Western Australia on Sunday morning   TRENDING
Widespread frost was reported in parts of Queensland, Northern Territory, New South Wales and Western Australia on Sunday morning
Australians have woken up to freezing temperatures, with some towns recording their coldest May morning on record.

Widespread frost was reported in parts of Queensland, Northern Territory, New South Wales and Western Australia on Sunday morning.

The Bureau of Meteorology recorded minimum temperatures as low as to -2.7 degrees at Injune Post Office in Queensland.

Records were broken in Hughenden, Queensland, where residents woke up to -1.4 degrees, while Bankstown and Penrith each had their coldest May temperature ever, hitting 0.7 degrees and 0.6 degrees respectively.

Tamworth also recorded its coldest May morning with -4.8 degrees.

Arrow Down

Snow avalanche kills 9 nomads in northern Pakistan

File Photo
File Photo
At least nine people were killed when a snow avalanche struck Astrore's district in northern Pakistan.

Reports in the media suggest that at least nine nomads were killed on Saturday and several went missing when a snow avalanche hit them near Shunter Pass of the Astore district of Gilgit Baltistan.

Gilgit Baltistan Chief Minister Khalid Khurshid Khan mourned the deaths and directed the local authorities to start the rescue operation.

He called on the secretary interior, Director General of GBDMA, and other officials to rush to the spot.

Reports also suggest that GB Chief Minister will also visit the location.

Snowflake

Winter returns: Mount Washington in New Hampshire covered in snow, ice ahead of Memorial Day weekend

nnnnnnnnnn
The calendar says June arrives next week, but atop Mount Washington winter is making a comeback.

"Winter-like conditions have returned to the summit this morning with just over an inch of new snowfall and temperatures hovering in the 20s with stiff northerly winds adding a nip to the air," the Mount Washington Observatory posted Thursday. "The wintry weather continues today but improving conditions are expected in the days ahead."

Snowflake

Raining and snowfall reported in Issyk-Kul, Kyrgyzstan for 3 consecutive days - snow accumulated up to a meter deep

mmmmmm
It has been raining in Issyk-Kul for three consecutive days and snowfalls have been reported in remote parts of the region, Turmush reports.

Bakyt Barktabasov, the head of the Issyk-Kul regional department of the Road Department under the Ministry of Transport and Communications, reported that the Bokonbaeva-Tosor-Jyluu-Suu road is currently covered in snow. The Tosor Pass, in particular, has seen snow accumulate up to a meter in certain areas.

Snowflake

Snowfall on the verge of summer in the Sierra Nevada, southern Spain

mmmmm
In the coming days, significant accumulations of snow are expected in the higher areas of the mountains, after being almost absent in the first part of the spring.

Snowflake

Snowfalls leave thousands of Chilean weekend shoppers stranded in Mendoza, Argentina

The storm could last until Thursday, according to local media, meaning extra cash for Mendoza hotels and restaurants
The storm could last until Thursday, according to local media, meaning extra cash for Mendoza hotels and restaurants
Thousands of Chilean travelers were stranded Sunday in the Argentine province of Mendoza as the Cristo Redentor Path was closed at 3 pm due to bad weather (snow), it was reported. The decision was made jointly by both countries, reported Los Andes. Shortly before, traffic from Uspallata onwards had also been cut off. It is an average one-hour drive from there to Cristo Redentor

According to Mendoza's Uno newspaper, long lines of cars were observed since midday in the area near the Los Libertadores customs complex, at the border. The border crossing was closed due to bad weather conditions in the area. The border village of Las Cuevas had a thin layer of snow under overcast skies before the closure, the newspaper reported. Meanwhile, in the Uspallata Valley area, there were strong winds and snowfall in the high mountains. The storm could last until Thursday.

Arrow Down

Husband of 2-time Olympic champion Justyna Kowalczyk killed in avalanche in Switzerland

The heartbreaking last picture of Kacper Tekieli at the top of Jungfrau, which he had sent to his wife and son, writing “I love you kitties”, and she had shared on social media after his death.
The heartbreaking last picture of Kacper Tekieli at the top of Jungfrau, which he had sent to his wife and son, writing “I love you kitties”, and she had shared on social media after his death.
The husband of two-time Olympic champion Justyna Kowalczyk was killed Thursday in an avalanche in the Swiss Alps, the Polish Mountaineering Support Foundation said.

Sports climber Kacper Tekieli, who was 38, last posted on Facebook on Tuesday from Konkordia Hut in Fiescherthal, Switzerland.

"He was most wonderful," a post on Kowalczyk's official Facebook page said in Polish, followed by "He was the most beautiful person in the world" in English.

Tekieli was a climbing instructor who climbed in the Himalayas on the Makalu, the fifth highest mountain in the world, and on Broad Peak, as well as in the Alps. He married Kowalczyk in 2020. The couple have a 20-month-old son.

Kowalczyk, a cross-country skier who won gold medals at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and the 2014 Sochi Games, has retired from competition.

Snowflake

Late spring SNOWFALL in New Hampshire covers parts of Granite State in three inches of the white stuff

It may be just a month until summer starts, but no one told that to the mountains in New Hampshire, which saw a thick coating of snowfall at some of its highest elevations on Thursday
It may be just a month until summer starts, but no one told that to the mountains in New Hampshire, which saw a thick coating of snowfall at some of its highest elevations on Thursday
It may be just weeks until summer stars - put parts of New Hampshire are still seeing midwinter weather, with a thick blanket of snow covering areas of the Granite State.

The Mount Washington Observatory noted the absurdity of seeing the white stuff this time of year in a Facebook post after the beauty spot was given a thick coating.

'The calendar might read mid-May but the White Mountains will feel more like late March Weds into Thurs morning,' the observatory said.

Clarksville, New Hampshire - a town about two hours east of Montreal - also saw visible snowfall on Thursday, although it did not lay on the ground.

Areas at 4,000 feet above sea level saw a possibility of three inches of snow Wednesday going into Thursday.

Snowflake Cold

UK's unusual winter and spring: Colder, wetter, with less sunlight hours - BBC meteorologist

bbc weather
Tomasz says people often ask if the jet stream — a core of strong winds around five to seven miles above the Earth’s surface, blowing from west to east — is to blame
May is normally when my garden starts to come into its own. I dust off the outdoor furniture, sit out and enjoy my collection of sub-tropical plants, from palm trees to yuccas.

This year, however, I'm feeling as deflated as my enfeebled plants. My BBC weather colleagues and I often exchange stories about how our gardens are doing. Like mine, theirs have been nipped by all the sharp frosts we've had this spring.

Meanwhile, people are stopping me in the street, asking when spring will finally arrive. And what have we done to deserve such cold, gloomy weather dragging on so long?

Comment: See also: