Welcome to Sott.net
Fri, 28 Apr 2017
The World for People who Think

Society's Child
Map

Quenelle

People power: British students launch hunger strike in solidarity with Palestinian prisoners

© IsraelWC / Facebook
Students from the University of Manchester on December 11, 2016
A group of students at Manchester University are on a hunger strike in solidarity with Palestinian political prisoners. Their action comes as students' unions across the UK face growing scrutiny over the lawfulness of their anti-Israel stance.

The five hunger strikers said their protest is in solidarity with imprisoned Palestinians. They are also demanding that their university refuse to work with companies seen to be aiding the Israeli state.

They are further calling for disciplinary charges to be dropped against two students for their role in the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.

Brain

Brain hacking: Scientists want new laws to stop our thoughts from being stolen

© Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Researchers have called for radical new legislation protecting people's thoughts from being stolen and maybe even deleted.

Biomedical ethicists Marcello Ienca and Roberto Andorno believe that while rapid advances in neurotechnology have created opportunities in modern medicine, they also present new challenges for human privacy.

Writing in the journal Life Sciences, Society and Policy, the pair have warned that brain-hacking and "hazardous use of medical neurotechnology" could threaten the integrity of our thoughts.

Sheriff

2 Georgia cops charged with battery, oath violation felonies

© Eric Gaillard / Reuters
Two Gwinnett County Police officers who were fired earlier this month after using excessive force during a routine traffic stop have now been criminally charged.

Videos of the incident were recorded and uploaded to the Facebook page of Black Lives Matter of Greater Atlanta.

Former Master Police Officer Robert McDonald, 25, and former Sgt. Mike Bongiovanni , 42, each face charges of battery and violation of oath of office, a felony, according to WXIA. Their bonds were each reportedly set at $15,000.

The officers have until 5:00pm Thursday to turn themselves in, the Gwinnett County District Attorney's Office told their lawyers, WXIA reported.

Syringe

Contrasting accounts of Arkansas execution from witnesses inside the death chamber

© Arkansas Department of Corrections/ Youtube
Little Rock, Arkansas. - As a condemned killer lay on a gurney awaiting lethal injection in Arkansas' death chamber, a federal judge had to decide whether there was sufficient evidence that an inmate executed earlier that evening showed signs that he was suffering while he was put to death.

The judge ultimately allowed the second execution to go ahead after a hastily arranged 20-minute hearing by phone, marking the nation's first double execution on one day in nearly 17 years, but the widely varying witness accounts of the first execution illustrate the risks that have made efforts to put more than one inmate to death in a day so rare.

Those questions loom as Arkansas prepares to put another inmate to death Thursday under what originally was an unprecedented plan to execute eight men over an 11-day period.

Comment: For more information see the articles below:


Magnify

Sex scandal in Russian orphanage: Graduate opens up on years of mass pedophile abuse

© Olaf Heil / Global Look Press
Children at a St Petersburg orphanage were "threatened to be sent to a mental health facility" if they refused to please their abusive tutors, a graduate has revealed in a shocking documentary, which prompted a large-scale investigation and multiple arrests.
"I was 13 years old... I have been abused by an orphanage graduate... He took me to an entrance hall of a building next to our orphanage and forced me to give him a blow job. Then he gave me money to keep me silent, and also took me to a sauna. Back then, and also now this person works at a social guest house for orphanage graduates," an orphan from St. Petersburg, Yakov Yablochnik, who is now 26 years old, shared in his letter published online.

Attention

Heroin epidemic so severe that many funeral homes can't keep up with demand

Heroin has flourished in West Virginia over the past decade, especially since officials cracked down on prescription drugs. In 2015, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, West Virginia's drug overdose death rate stood at 41.5 cases per 100,000 residents, the highest rate in the country and nearly three times the national average.

This epidemic is now causing a strain on funeral homes as well as a state funded program that provides burial assistance for impoverished families. West Virginia's "Indigent Burial Program" has existed for decades, but with the increase of heroin-related deaths, their resources are being depleted at a faster rate. And as overdoses rise many funeral homes are finding that they cannot keep up with the demand for services.

The Indigent Burial Program is a unique program because a majority of states don't provide such services at the state level, and most of the ones that do, limit them to recipients of Medicaid, SNAP or other social programs for the poor. Frederick Kitchen, president of the West Virginia Funeral Directors Association, said the state Department of Human Services earmarks almost $2 million a year to help cover the burial costs for destitute individuals. The state offers funeral homes $1,250 per person to cover expenses in cases where the deceased has no funds nor anyone willing or able to pay the funeral costs.

Eye 2

Seattle's mayor accused of child rape, police cover-up alleged by one of his victims

© Ken Lambert/Seattle Times
Seattle Mayor Ed Murray
Three men have now come forward and accused Seattle Mayor Ed Murray of sexually abusing them when they were children in the 1980's. Delvonn Heckard, one of the alleged victims, filed a lawsuit against the mayor this month, setting off a firestorm of controversy for the mayor now accused of pedophilia.

Heckard claims Murray abused him when he was a teen. According to the Seattle Times, the mayor "sexually abused the crack-cocaine addicted teen on numerous occasions for payments of $10 to $20" starting in 1986 when the boy was just 15 years old. "Two other men, Jeff Simpson and Lloyd Anderson, also have said Murray sexually abused them as teenagers while living in Portland in the early 1980s. They have not filed lawsuits."

Now, Heckard's lawyers are claiming the police are shielding the mayor from yet another scandal. The lawyers were provided screen shots from a computer-assisted dispatch (CAD) of at least 8 police officers to the mayor's home on the night of June 24th, the same night as the Gay Pride parade being held in the town.

The snapshots were provided by an anonymous whistleblower who said that Murray called Seattle's Police Chief Kathleen O'Toole to deal with a problem, sources say, involving a shirtless man demanding to get his clothes back. O'Toole reportedly responded to the scene and dealt with the matter quietly, without any police report being filed.

Comment: The above mentioned Times article lists the names of the five friends at Murray's house that night who provided the collective contradictory statement. Lyle Canceko, Roger Hyhus and Joe Loeffler, along with Adrian Matanza and Maggie Thomson, two of his staff members.

According to an August 25, 2015 article by NBC News, a Lyle Canceko was hired to Hillary Clinton's campaign as Northeast Political Director. HIs name appears several times in the Podesta/Clinton Wikileaks emails.

CEO Roger Nyhus is a career 'strategic' manipulator with long ties in business and politics in Washingon State, Washington D.C. and globally.

Joe Loeffler, prior to taking his position as an accountant with Nyhus, represented a 'collection of Washington States interests' in DC. In 2013, The Hill listed him as one of their '50 Most Beautiful', revealing comparisons to the child-friendly fictional characters, Superman and Harry Potter. In 2008, he also managed field operations for the Obama campaign.

See also:


Bullseye

Explosive new History Channel series finally exposes CIA drug trafficking conspiracy

Richard Nixon, in his effort to silence black people and antiwar activists, brought the War on Drugs into full force in 1973. He then signed Reorganization Plan No. 2, which established the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Over the course of five decades, this senseless war has waged on. At a cost of over $1 trillion — ruining and ending countless lives in the process — America's drug war has created a drug problem that is worse now than ever before.


This is no coincidence.

For years, those of us who've been paying attention have seen who profits from this inhumane war — the police state and cartels.

This horrendously corrupt and violent drug war has gotten so bad, that it is getting pushed into the mainstream. In an extremely rare move, A&E Networks, a subsidiary of ABC and the Walt Disney Company, will be addressing the government's role in the drug war in a four-part documentary series on the History Channel, titled, "America's War on Drugs."

Comment: Kudos to A&E for bringing this US government-created scourge to the light of day. Let's see if the shows actually get aired. And if they are, let them be seen far and wide - and let the anger and outrage of all normal people be felt by the pathologicals who are responsible.


Newspaper

Thai 'medium' fatally stabs himself in heart as ritual goes horribly wrong (VIDEO)

© Viral Press / YouTube
A medium performing a ritual dance in Thailand has reportedly died after accidentally stabbing himself in the heart in front of shocked onlookers.

Theprit Palee died on Monday in the village of Ban Pa Sak while carrying out a folk dance involving a metal sword, reports Sanook.

Attention

Alarming voter irregularities reported across France as fears mount election being rigged

Less than 24 hours after the publication of the results of the first round of the presidential election in France, irregularities are being reported on both sides. In some places, there is fear of a rigged election.

In the aftermath of the first round of the French presidential election, irregularities were seen in broad daylight. On Monday, many media reported an unusual incident. In effect, thousands of voters were removed from the lists without their knowledge. The events took place in Strasbourg.

The information was confirmed by Strasbourg town hall which referred to 15,000 people being removed from the voters' lists in a city of 270,000 people. According to Le Monde, many voters were surprised to discover that they were no longer registered to vote in their polling stations.

Comment: Missing ballot boxes, duplicate votes, blocked voters; something sure does seem fishy.