Welcome to Sott.net
Thu, 29 Oct 2020
The World for People who Think

Society's Child
Map

Fire

Portland protesters leave 'Kill the president' message on police union building & set fire to pro-cop billboard

Portland billboard
© Twitter / @hungrybowtie
Demonstrators in Portland vandalized the office of the local police union and torched a billboard that expressed support for law enforcement, amid ongoing unrest in the Oregon city that has stretched for months.

Protesters marched to the Portland Police Association (PPA) building on Monday night as they chanted "No justice, no peace." The building, which had been boarded up after being repeatedly attacked by rioters during previous demonstrations, was then defaced with graffiti. Messages spray-painted on the wood panels included: "Burn this,""Cops are murderers," and "Kill the president."


The mob then turned their attention to a nearby billboard which expressed support for local law enforcement. Protesters splattered paint on the placard before setting it on fire. The billboard, which read, "Wake up America! Thank you Portland Police Bureau," had been paid for by a local outlet, PT News.


Yoda

More Google dirt: Project Veritas exposes manager admitting to election interference

google executive election interference veritas
© Project Veritas
Project Veritas released a new video that exposes the hidden political agenda of Google's top managers and shows how Google manipulated algorithms to skew conservative content negatively.
On Monday, Project Veritas released a new video that exposes the hidden political agenda of Google's top managers and shows how Google manipulated algorithms to skew conservative content negatively.

In the video, Google's Cloud Technical Program Manager Ritesh Lakhar said that it is intentional that the Google search results that show scathingly negative content regarding Donald Trump and entirely positive content about Joe Biden.

Lakhar said that the content was "skewed by the owners and drivers of the algorithm."

Comment:


Bad Guys

Does Manchester really need tougher restrictions?

manchester covid mask mural
© Christopher Furlong/Getty Images
A new mural celebrating the NHS, painted in north Manchester on Friday
Is Andy Burnham's resistance to tier three a principled stand or just an attempt to extract more money from central government? While Burnham is insisting that he 'won't be rolled over' for money — he is believed to have been offered between £75 million to £100 million if he agrees to the higher level of restrictions — communities secretary Robert Jenrick is insisting that the government is close to making a deal with Andy Burnham's local authority.

Meanwhile, what no one seems to have noticed — or at least are not letting on — is that cases in Manchester are now falling and are showing signs of levelling off in the other nine boroughs that make up Greater Manchester. In the city of Manchester itself — which has been the seat of the local epidemic, and which accounts for 20 per cent of the population of Greater Manchester — the seven day rolling average of new cases peaked on 3 October at 460. A week later it was 382 and by the Saturday just gone, it was 243. While infections in other boroughs have yet to show a sustained fall, they have either levelled off or have substantially slowed.
manchester covid stats
Nor, it seems, do reports of overflowing hospitals stack up. On Sunday, the Observer reported on a leaked NHS document showing that 211 out of 257 critical care beds in Greater Manchester were occupied on Friday — 82 per cent of the total.

It echoed reports from a Liverpool councillor last week who claimed that 95 per cent of intensive care beds in the city were occupied — a claim that didn't stand up to closer examination. If 80 per cent of Greater Manchester critical care beds are currently occupied, this would in fact be less than last October, when Manchester University Hospitals Trust recorded that 87 per cent of its beds (94 out of 108) were occupied.

Comment: Three tiers of stupidity and criminality.


Handcuffs

Ghislaine Maxwell loses court fight: Deposition about sex life will be made public

Epstein- Ghislaine Maxwell
© Patrick McMullan via Getty Images
A former friend of Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, pictured in 2005, claimed they 'forced' him to watch the footage as they wanted to convince him of their 'power'
A federal appeals court Monday ordered the unsealing of a deposition related to Ghislaine Maxwell's sex life — after the defense fought tooth and nail to keep it secret.

A three-judge panel from the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals issued the brief, two-page ruling after hearing arguments on the matter last week.

"We cannot conclude that the District Court abused its discretion in ordering the unsealing of the deposition materials," the panel wrote.

It's unclear when the documents will be released.

Comment: An interesting about-face from Preska. Is Maxwell being taken off the board, as Epstein was?


Bullseye

White House Covid advisor Scott Atlas: 'I'm disgusted and dismayed with the media and the public policy establishment'

scott atlas covid
© Carlos Barria / Reuters
Scott Atlas, Senior advisor to the President
Freddie Sayers caught up with Scott Atlas, a healthcare policy academic from the Hoover Institute at Stanford, who has become the latest lightning rod for the controversy around Covid-19 policy and his support for a more targeted response.

Speaking from inside the White House, where he is now Senior advisor to the President and a member of the Coronavirus task force, he does not hold back. He tells us that he is disgusted and dismayed at the media and public policy establishment, sad that it has come to this, cynical about their intentions, and angry that lockdown policies have been allowed to go on so long.

He won't be rushing back to Stanford, where his colleagues have rounded on him, if the President loses in November.

Comment: How do you know when you're on the right track? When social media throttles your information:


Attention

Cancer deaths in private homes in England soar 50 per cent since start of coronavirus

stay home sign
© James D. Morgan/Getty Images
The number of men dying from cancer in private homes during the coronavirus pandemic is roughly 50 per cent higher than the five-year average, new figures show.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has released startling figures which appear to show the impact the Covid-19 crisis is having on other health services across England.

Deaths from dementia and Alzheimer's disease in private homes in England have risen 79 per cent during the pandemic compared with the five-year average.

The figures show that the leading cause of death in private homes during Covid-19 was ischaemic heart disease.

The ONS confirmed that excess deaths in private homes - the number of deaths above the average for the corresponding period in the previous five years - have mostly been deaths not involving Covid-19.

Evil Rays

EU countries expect 5G to spur economic recovery from shutdowns, problem is people don't trust it

5G Technology
The European Union needs to come up with a strategy to counter disinformation about 5G technology or risk false claims derailing its economic recovery and digital goals, a group of 15 countries including Poland and Sweden said.

Conspiracy theories that the novel coronavirus may be linked to the wireless technology have led to the torching of mobile phone masts in 10 European countries and assaults on maintenance workers in recent months.

The 27-nation EU sees 5G as the linchpin of its economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and technology autonomy, with its promise to enable everything from self-driving cars to remote surgery and more automated manufacturing.

The 15 countries listed their concerns and proposals in a joint letter to EU digital chief Margrethe Vestager, internal market commissioner Thierry Breton and values chief Vera Jourova that was seen by Reuters.

Bad Guys

Manchester mayor rejects PM Boris Johnson's '£100,000,000' bribe to implement Tier 3 lockdown

manchester city britain
© Press Association
Greater Manchester’s highest-profile leader has dashed hopes of a deal to bring the area into tier 3 on Monday
Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham has slapped down the government's latest offer of extra financial support in exchange for agreeing to a tier 3 lockdown, saying 'it's not about the size of the cheque'.

Boris Johnson had reportedly offered local leaders in Greater Manchester up to £100 million on Monday to accept the highest level of restrictions.

The prime minister is seeking to gain their consent for the move but has said he is prepared to impose it if there is no agreement.

Mr Burnham told Sky News he is holding out for more generous financial support schemes for workers and firm affected by the new restrictions and is 'not just going to roll over at the sight of a cheque'.

Comment: BoJo's not giving up that quickly:
UK Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has said that if the deal between the British government and the local leaders in Greater Manchester, including Mayor Andy Burnham, isn't inked by 12 p.m. Tuesday, then it would be up to Prime Minister Boris Johnson to decide whether to impose a tier-three lockdown on the area.

Asked whether Johnson would enforce the lockdown single-handedly if the last-minute effort to flesh out an agreement falls through, Jenrick said that it will be "a matter for the prime minister to decide."

In addition to the claims that the Johnson cabinet walked out on its earlier promise, Burnham and Leese accused the government of trying to put a spin on hospital data in order to stoke fears about the severity of the outbreak.

"We are disappointed that the Government has today sought to raise public concern about the NHS in Greater Manchester with selective statistics," the leaders said. They argued that the area's ICU occupancy rate was "not abnormal for this time of the year" and was "comparable to the occupancy rate in October 2019."




Briefcase

90 sued for damage done during George Floyd protests

cincinnati george floyd protest damage
© WXIX Cincinnati
A lawyer representing a Downtown Cincinnati real-estate company is suing 90 people it says are responsible for damage to businesses during the George Floyd protests in the early summer.

The protests of late May and early June were largely peaceful but at points devolved into vandalism throughout Downtown and Over-the-Rhine.

Residents woke in those neighborhoods May 30 to find shattered windows, upturned planters and glass littering sidewalks.

Comment:


It's nice to see some of the people involved in the senseless widespread damage from the riots are at least potentially being held accountable.

See also:


USA

Anti-Trump protesters pretend to eat bloodied heart of President, burn American Flag

boston antifa burn flag
© Joseph Prezioso/Getty
Counterprotesters set fire to an effigy of US President Donald Trump near a gathering of the far-right group Super Fun Happy America in Copley Square in Boston on Sunday.
Protesters opposing President Donald Trump on Sunday were filmed burning an American flag and pretending to eat a bloodied heart of the president.

Twitter user Al The Great wrote as a caption to the video, "Antifa burn the US flag and eat a heart symbolic of the President during an anti-democrat violence protest in #Boston #Massachusetts on 10.18.20."

In the video, one protester can be seen walking through the smoke from a burning American flag as he is surrounded by fellow protesters. He then takes what appears to be a bloody heart, rips it open and pours it on his face, as those around him clap and yell.

Comment: More footage from the protests:


Previously from Super Happy Fun America: