Welcome to Sott.net
Sat, 19 Sep 2020
The World for People who Think

Society's Child
Map

NPC

Leading UK museum decides the display of South American human shrunken heads is racist

Shrunken head
© Wikipedia
Shrunken head from the Shuar people, on display in the Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford
Killjoys at an Oxford museum have decided to remove from view its popular exhibit of shrunken human heads. The woke arbiters of British culture have decided that this exhibit reinforces "racist and stereotypical thinking."

For over 80 years, visitors to Oxford University's Pitt Rivers Museum, one of the world's most important ethnological institutes, have been fascinated by its display of shrunken heads, decorated skulls, scalps and Egyptian mummies.

Twenty years ago, when I took a group of six-year-old boys to visit the museum, no one went away with racist and stereotypical thoughts. On the contrary, the visitors who are exposed to this exhibit are likely to discover an interest in other cultures. Now, we are all deprived of the opportunity to embark on our own personal journey of discovery and make up our own minds about what to make of this exhibit.

Comment: See also:


NPC

'Chickens come home to roost': California city manager says shooting of two deputies is to be "expected"

shooting cop compton

Video released by the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department shows the moment that male suspect opened fire on two deputies at a Compton bus station
A city manager in California posted on social media that "chickens come home to roost" following the shooting of two Los Angeles sheriff's deputies.

City Manager Jose Ometeotl posted on his previously public Instagram account that the ambush of two deputies in Compton on Saturday night was "expected in the society we live in today."

"The fact that someone randomly opened fire on deputies is to be expected in the society we live in today. The political climate and leadership of Sheriff Villanueva has only sowed the seeds of anger and frustration in the community. I pray for the deputies and their families while still demanding justice for Andres Guardado, Breana Taylor, Tamir Rice, Ahmaud Arbery..." Ometeotl wrote in the post, accompanied by a photo of Malcolm X with the caption, "Chickens come home to roost."

Comment: See also: Black militia, armed 'Patriots' & BLM protesters face off in Louisville on chaotic Kentucky Derby day


Star of David

Too blatant a crime to whitewash: Jewish terrorist gets 3 life terms for killing Palestinian family in 2015 arson

Amiram Ben Uliel Dawabsha arson murder
© Avshalom Sassoni/Pool Photo via AP
Convicted arsonist and murderer Amiram Ben Uliel in the Lod District Court on May 18, 2020.
An Israeli man found guilty of carrying out a deadly 2015 firebombing that killed an 18-month-old Palestinian boy and his parents was sentenced on Monday to three life sentences.

Handing down the sentence, the Lod District Court said Amiram Ben Uliel, 26, committed the attack out of "extreme and racist ideology."

Ben Uliel, along with a teenage accomplice, were convicted previously over the 2015 arson attack in Duma. The attack, one of the most brutal acts of Jewish terror in recent years, claimed the lives of Sa'ad and Riham Dawabsha and their 18-month-old son Ali. Five-year-old Ahmed was the lone survivor of the attack.

The accomplice will be sentenced on Wednesday.

Comment: Mondoweiss adds:
According to Haaretz, in the wake of sentencing Ben-Uliel's wife maintained his innocence, saying "all the evidence" showed that "my husband did not do it."

Ben-Uliel's lawyers had previously attempted to get him acquitted, and it is expected that they will appeal his sentence to the Israeli Supreme Court.

Palestinians welcomed Monday's sentencing, with Palestinian members of the Arab-majority Joint List calling the sentencing an "important moment."

"The sentence is an important moment, when too many murders of Palestinians do not even reach trial," MK Yousef Jabareen said in a statement on Twitter, adding that "this does not clear the blame of the [Israeli] ministers who incited political assassination and created an atmosphere of racist hatred."

Head of the Joint List Ayman Odeh described the sentencing as only "partial justice," saying that "full justice will be done at the end of the occupation and the establishment of an independent Palestinian state alongside the State of Israel."

Hussein Dawabsheh, the father of Riham and the guardian of now 10-year-old Ahmad, said that the sentencing "will not bring anything back," echoing his previous sentiments that the conviction will not return his daughter to him, and will never ease the trauma that Ahmed experienced that day.



Russian Flag

Despite small gains for the far right and Navalny, Russia's weekend elections suggest no political change is imminent

russia/ballots
© Sputnik/Maxim Bogodvid
Members of the precinct election Commission count ballots at the polling station No. 42 in Kazan.
The status quo has it. That's the message from the local elections that took place last weekend in a third of Russia's regions. The United Russia party will be pleased with the outcome of what was a test of its grip on power.

The results will be less satisfactory for its opponents, because, despite frequent claims that Russians are growing weary of their rulers, in practice, they show little inclination for voting to change them.

The elections took place at a number of levels: by-elections for the State Duma (the national parliament), regional governors, regional parliaments, and city councils. United Russia won three of the four Duma by-elections, and most of the gubernatorial races. The latter were notable for the huge majorities won by incumbents, with most governors receiving 70 to 80 percent of the vote.

Results in votes for local legislative bodies were more mixed. For the most part, United Russia came out 30 percent or more ahead of its main opponents, the Communists and Vladimir Zhirinovsky's nationalist Liberal Democratic Party of Russia (LDPR), who competed in most regions for second place. In short, the elections pretty much reproduced the results of the last national vote, suggesting that the political system is quite stable, and we should not expect any great shocks in the immediate future. The powers-that-be will be able to look at the outcome with some satisfaction.

Comment: Update on Navalny: He's back!
Hope of a full recovery for Alexey Navalny received a boost on Tuesday morning, when the Russian opposition figure published a photo from Berlin's Charite hospital for the first time since he was admitted on August 24.

Writing on Instagram, Navalny explained that he "can still barely do anything," but is now able to breathe "on his own" without a ventilator. The anti-corruption activist appears to be in good spirits, joking that he "recommends" breathing, which he described as an "amazing, underestimated" process.
Navalny's post comes just a day after a German official apparently revealed the activist's intention to return home after he recovers, in order to "continue his mission." Allegedly speaking to the New York Times, the unnamed official also noted that Navalny is "fully aware of his condition" and seems mentally sharp.

On Tuesday, his press secretary, Kira Yarmysh, confirmed that Navalny would return to Russia, saying that "no other options were ever considered."

Speaking to reporters, President Vladimir Putin's spokesman noted that news of Navalny's recovery is positive, and he would be welcomed back to his homeland.

"He is a citizen of Russia, he is free to leave Russia and return to Russia," Dmitry Peskov said. "If a Russian citizen improves his health, everyone will be happy."



Star of David

When will the world stop ignoring what is happening in Gaza?

Khan Yunis, Gaza
© Abed Rahim Khatib/Anadolu
Explosion illuminates the night sky after Israeli warplanes hit several targets on August 16, 2020 in Khan Yunis, Gaza.
For my family, and for the people of Gaza, August has been horrific. Israel bombed the Strip on an almost daily basis, making us feel like we were stuck at the epicentre of a never-ending earthquake. The explosions, at times barely a kilometre from our home, were so loud, my two-year-old niece could not sleep at night. Every time she heard a loud bang she quickly gathered her toys around her, as if to protect them from Israel's bombs.

Last month was indeed horrific, but it was not extraordinary in any way. Israel's soldiers, warplanes, drones and gunships have been harassing, intimidating, and killing the people of Gaza regularly, and with impunity, for decades. Israel's attacks are part of the daily routine in Gaza. To be able to survive, and to lead something that resembles a normal life, us Gazans have no choice but to accept as normal the violence being inflicted on us.

Growing up in Gaza, I always felt a sense of emergency. My family was always prepared for the worst, because the worst could knock on our door at any time, as it did during the attacks on Gaza in 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2014. As a child, I knew that living in fear every single day was not normal. In my heart, I rejected the normalisation of everyday horrors, because I did not want to lose touch with my humanity. Yet I eventually had to come to terms with the situation I was born into and my surroundings.

Bell

Federal judge rules Pennsylvania governor's Covid-19 lockdown orders were unconstitutional

Covid shut down order
© Reuters/Stephen Yang
A federal judge in Pittsburgh has ruled that Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf was arbitrary and overreaching in his Covid-19 orders shutting down businesses and imposing other restrictions, violating citizens' constitutional rights.

Although the orders were undertaken "with the good intention of addressing a public health emergency," they overstepped the government's authority, US District Court Judge William Stickman IV, who was appointed to his position last year by President Donald Trump, said in his order Monday.

"Even in an emergency, the authority of government is not unfettered," Stickman said. "The liberties protected by the Constitution are not fair-weather freedoms - in place when times are good but able to be cast aside in times of trouble."

Some of the restrictions at issue, such as a complete shutdown of all businesses deemed non-essential by the state, have already expired. But some remaining rules, such as a ban on gatherings of more than 25 people indoors or of more than 250 people outdoors, may no longer be enforceable. Stickman said such orders violate the First Amendment right to assemble.

Fire

Cops say Oregon man, freed after using Molotov cocktail to start fire, set six more

portland fires molotov cocktail
© Portland Police Bureau
Domingo Lopez Jr. and a Molotov cocktail
An Oregon man was charged with using a Molotov cocktail to start a brush blaze in the wildfire-devastated state — then busted again just hours later for allegedly going back and starting six more, cops said.

Domingo Lopez Jr., 45, was first arrested Sunday afternoon after witnesses told cops he started a fire on the grassy edge of a Portland freeway with an incendiary device made out of a plastic bottle with a wick, the Portland Police Bureau said.

He admitted starting the blaze, which was extinguished without any injuries or property damage, cops said.

Comment: The locals are having a hard time buying O'Meara's claim:




Ambulance

Sacramento Highway Patrol sends anti-Trump protester flying in viral hit and run incident

sacramento car
© Twitter / @Talal916
Two anti-Trump protesters were injured, one of whom was taken to hospital, after they confronted a California Highway Patrol car and climbed on top of it, only for the driver to speed off without warning.

The group of protesters had gathered ahead of President Trump's visit to Sacramento where he gave a briefing on the escalating wildfires which have ravaged California, and other states, in recent weeks.

At approximately 1pm local time, near Sacramento's McClellan Airport, a protester could be seen crawling on the hood of the police car, scaling the windshield when, without warning, the car accelerated rapidly, sending the man and several of his fellow protesters flying.
Trump came to Sacramento and cops ran over protestors @SacPolice wtf is this pic.twitter.com/S8gGbwqN41

— halal talal (@Talal916) September 14, 2020
pic.twitter.com/3pIaHPuRUN

— halal talal (@Talal916) September 14, 2020

Comment: Since the tweets above are "unavailable", see the footage in the meme included below.


The Highway patrol has yet to comment on the incident but is said to be preparing a statement.

Two people were injured in the incident, with the man thrown over the hood of the car taken away on a stretcher to a nearby hospital for treatment. His injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Footage of the incident quickly went viral, sparking a slew of insults and taunts as well as memes online.


Bizarro Earth

U. Chicago English Dept. says it will ONLY admit 'Black Studies' grad students this year

University of Chicago
University of Chicago English Department graduate programs will only be open to applicants who plan to study "Black Studies" this year.

According to its admissions information webpage, the department is only accepting graduate applications from those who are "interested in working in and with Black Studies" for this academic year.

"As literary scholars, we attend to the histories, atmospheres, and scenes of anti-Black racism and racial violence in the United States and across the world."

"For the 2020-2021 graduate admissions cycle, the University of Chicago English Department is accepting only applicants interested in working in and with Black Studies. We understand Black Studies to be a capacious intellectual project that spans a variety of methodological approaches, fields, geographical areas, languages, and time periods," the university's English Department website states.

Comment: In other words, the University of Chicago can only have a very small number of students for its 2021 English program due to Covid restrictions, and it might as well capitalize on the situation by showing accademia just how woke they are.


Camcorder

Assange extradition hearing adjourned after videolink failure, court fails to explain cause of problems

Julian Assange extradition protesters
© REUTERS/Henry Nicholls
Protestors outside the Old Bailey in London ahead of a hearing to decide whether Assange should be extradited to the United States.
Hot on the heels of a coronavirus scare, Julian Assange's extradition hearing was postponed on Monday following a farcical videolink failure which meant the court could not hear the testimony of a prominent witness.

The court was hearing from witness Eric Lewis, an experienced US lawyer, when out of the blue it was interrupted by a Fox News video about WikiLeaks. The source of the unexpected interruption was never revealed and the court went into recess in a bid to resolve the technical difficulties.

Lewis was expected to give evidence that Assange would face a "flagrant denial of justice" if put on trial in the US. The court was only on the first of five statements he submitted when the issues arose.