Welcome to Sott.net
Mon, 20 Jan 2020
The World for People who Think

Society's Child
Map

Broom

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle quit senior royal duties, didn't notify the Queen

harry meghan

Couple will split time between UK and North America, they say, amid speculation on move to Canada
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to "step back as 'senior' members of the royal family", they have said.

The couple want to become financially independent, they announced in a statement published to the Sussex Royal Instagram account.

It comes amid speculation the couple want to move to Canada, and just a day after they thanked Canadian embassy staff in person for the hospitality they enjoyed during a six-week Christmas holiday in Vancouver with Doria Ragland, Meghan's mother.

In the statement, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle said: "After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.

Comment: See also:


Camcorder

ABC takes advantage of Iran conflict to FINALLY screen Epstein story... 3 years late

abc epstein
© Reuters / Mario Anzuoni; Reuters / New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services Handout
TV network ABC is finally broadcasting a long-delayed exposé on notorious sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein - and it only took 3 years, a Project Veritas investigation, and an inquiry from Congress about the shelving of the segment.

"Truth and Lies: Jeffrey Epstein" is due to air Thursday on ABC, the network tweeted on Wednesday, as the country stood poised on the brink of war with Iran and one might assume relatively few eyes were on the Epstein saga - for once.


James O'Keeffe of Project Veritas was quick to take credit for the long-suppressed footage seeing daylight - assuming, of course, the special ABC plans to broadcast bears any resemblance to the investigation by anchor Amy Robach that was mysteriously spiked by network management three years ago.

Comment: See also:


Pistol

'Many injuries' reported following shooting at Ottawa Airbnb

shooting ottawa airbnb
© Associated Press
Police converge on scene of Airbnb shooting in Ottawa
Police hunt gunman after shooting in Ottawa leaves one dead and three people, including a 15-year-old, seriously injured in 'targeted' early morning attack at Airbnb apartment

One person has been killed and three others seriously wounded after a gunman opened fire in a 'targeted attack' in a downtown Ottawa Airbnb apartment this morning.

Ottawa Police and paramedics were called to the 400 block of Gilmour Street shortly before 7:30am to reports of shots fired that had caused 'many injuries'.In a statement, the police department confirmed that one person had been killed at the scene and three others were taken to hospital with severe injuries.

One of the victims is a 15-year-old boy and he was taken to the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario for treatment in a stable condition.

The ages and genders of the other victims have not been confirmed but both are said to be in a 'serious' condition'.

Comment: CTV News reports:
Ottawa police say one person was killed and three seriously injured in a shooting in downtown Ottawa Wednesday morning.

Acting Insp. Francois D'Aoust said at the scene that police believe the attack was targeted and there was no "active shooter" in the city, contrary to an immediate warning from the Parliamentary Protective Service, which guards nearby Parliament Hill.
[...]

Kacey Griffiths, who lives next to the house where the shooting occurred, said she woke up to find heavily armed police surrounding the building. She says she watched as police thoroughly searched the residence before two young people were taken away on stretchers.

Paramedics were working on a third person in the backyard, she added.

"They were both people I've never seen before," said Griffiths, who admitted to having been shaken by the shooting. "I'm very local here, I know my neighbours. I've never seen these people in my life."

Griffiths, who suspected the shooting was gang-related, said the street was previously rocked by a shooting last May. Police at the time reported that a car had been struck by bullets but that there were no injuries.

More from local sources:





Ambulance

13 injured as Maine pileup closes parts of Interstate 95

car accident storm maine january 2020

Many people were injured in a 30-car pileup on January 7, 2020 which was attributed to blinding early-morning sun on Interstate 95 in Maine.
A pileup involving some 30 vehicles shut down northbound lanes of Interstate 95 for hours Tuesday morning near Carmel, Maine.

At least 13 people were hurt in the collision, according to the Associated Press, including one with a serious injury. No deaths were reported, Maine State Police Spokesman Steve McCausland told the AP.

A Life Flight helicopter landed in the road, north of the crash site, which was about 16 miles west of Bangor, to fly the seriously injured to a Bangor hospital, the State Police said on its Facebook page.

Black Cat

Remand prisoner found dead in cell at Belmarsh: Investigation begun

Liridon Saliuka death belmarsh
© Dita Saliuka
Liridon Saliuka’s family claim he was being bullied in prison.
Liridon Saliuka, 29, died after a dispute over whether he should be classified as disabled

A remand prisoner has been found dead in his cell at HMP Belmarsh after a dispute over whether he should have been classified as disabled.

Liridon Saliuka, who was born in Kosovo and held a British passport, was found reportedly unresponsive in house block 4 of the high-security prison in the early evening of 2 January.

The Prison Service confirmed he had died. The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman is investigating. It is understood the authorities are treating the death as self-inflicted, but the family - who say there have been delays to the postmortem - disagree.

Saliuka, 29, from Harrow in north-west London, had been in custody since last summer when he was arrested and charged with murder in connection with a fatal shooting at a club in east London. He denied being involved.

Red Flag

NY Honours leak of celebs' and police officers' addresses EVEN WORSE than initially thought, govt admits

elton john
© Reuters / Denis Balibouse
The UK government has revealed that a hugely embarrassing error that led to the leaking of celebrities' and police officers' details exposed the sensitive data online for 190 minutes and not for just one hour as previously stated.

The UK Cabinet Office admitted on Tuesday night that the leak on December 27 of more than 1,000 New Year Honours recipients' addresses - including those of Elton John and former Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders - was left online for more than three hours.

Conservative ministers issued an "unreserved apology" for the major gaffe and launched an independent review after the government had initially insisted the private data was leaked online for merely an hour.

Cabinet Office Minister Oliver Dowden has now revised that version of events, and said that, while the link to the data was taken down after 40 minutes, any individuals that had a direct web link had access to the sensitive information for a further 150 minutes.

Dowden insisted that "appropriate management action" would be taken but did not reveal whether anyone would be sacked. He added: "On behalf of the Cabinet Office I apologise unreservedly for any distress or inconvenience caused."

Magnify

Chelsea Clinton has made $9 million from one board seat. Let's see how this go-getting multi-millionaire worked for her fortune

hillary and chelsea clinton
© AFP / AFP/ANGELA WEISS
Chelsea Clinton's charmed life (surely not based on nepotism & name recognition alone!) continues without impediment, in full view of an American public that just doesn't seem bothered.

As reported by Barron's, Chelsea Clinton's stock in the internet conglomerate IAC/ InterActiveCorp has recently been valued at $9 million. That's on top of the $50,000 annual retainer she receives, and the $6 million windfall she secured for becoming a board member in 2011.

That board membership at IAC is but one of many extremely lucrative posts that the daughter of Bill and Hillary has lucked upon since college.

After graduating from Oxford in 2003 with a master's degree in politics, Clinton habitually assumed roles at organizations run or owned by her parents' friends.

Handcuffs

British woman to appeal conviction for false rape claim after being railroaded by Cyprus authorities and judge

uk teen cyprus rape
© Christos Theodorides
The 19-year-old covers her face as she enters court on Monday
The British teenager convicted of lying about being gang-raped by a group of Israeli tourists was due to fly home later on Tuesday after she was handed a suspended four-month jail sentence.

The 19-year-old's defence team immediately said they would appeal the conviction at the supreme court - and demanded that the process for this be expedited.

Her highly controversial trial caused an outcry in Britain and the judge had to raise his voice to be heard over the chants of her supporters outside the courtroom in Paralimni.

"We want justice, we don't want favours," chanted the crowd of some 150 supporters, many of whom had flown in from Israel, joined by Cypriot women and some Britons.

Comment: There's more data available that reveals more about this situation. Apparently the judge who convicted the teen has been accused of hating women after he previously threw out another rape case two years ago, despite 'strong evidence'.

Referring to the British teen's case a forensic pathologist, Dr Marios Matsakis, said the British teenager may have been drugged, claims he said were not properly investigated.

He added that the failure to properly examine evidence against the 12 Israelis made him 'ashamed as a Cypriot'. Describing the judge, Dr Matsakis said 'my impression is he hates women'.

She also told The Mail: 'I have no doubts that violence was exercised on the body.'

The judge's behavior during the trial was rather out of line as well. From the Daily Mail:
Judge Papathanasiou has come under pressure for his courtroom behaviour, which Mr Matsakis described as unacceptable and 'like a primary school teacher shouting at students'.

During the woman's shambolic trial, he often yelled angrily at her and at others in court. In one bizarre instance, he reportedly shouted at the teenager for turning to her mother.

'I'm sure he affected her,' Mr Matsakis said. 'He said at one stage that she was looking at her mother and sighing.

'So what if she looked at her mother? Judging from this case, his behaviour was totally unacceptable and I would say that the authorities need to look into this and see whether he is fit to judge.'
Sounds like the court system in Cyprus is just as bad as it is in Italy.


Attention

'They threatened my family': Ghosn accuses Nissan and Japanese prosecutors of colluding against him

Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn
© Reuters / Mohamed Azakir
Former Nissan chairman, Carlos Ghosn, during a news conference at the Lebanese Press Syndicate in Beirut.
Nissan's former chairman Carlos Ghosn has made his first public appearance since his sensational escape from Japan, accusing the company of colluding with prosecutors, and claiming his family was in jeopardy.

"I did not escape justice. I fled injustice and political persecution," Ghosn told a conference room packed with international journalists in Beirut, Lebanon.

The businessman, who was due to face trial for embezzlement and under-reporting his income in Japan, said that fleeing the country was "the most difficult decision" of his life. However, he said that he had no other choice as his family was allegedly in danger.

Ghosn claims that Japanese officials told him: "It will be over if you just confess. If you don't confess, not only are we going to go after you, we are going to go after your family."

Comment: Fox News adds:
Ghosn, as expected, alleged that he was interrogated for up to eight hours a day by Japanese authorities and was held "definitively" in solitary confinement for 130 days after several failed attempts at posting bail. He also claimed he was not permitted to have attorneys present when he was questioned and was only permitted to shower twice a week. Under the terms of Ghosn's bail, he was restricted from contacting his family, including his wife Carole. On Tuesday, prosecutors in Japan obtained an arrest warrant for Carole Ghosn on suspicion of perjury. [...]

He's also under investigation by France.

"There was no end in sight," he said. "Those conditions remained more or less the same, day after day, week after week, month after month. The feeling of hopelessness was profound." [..]

"There was no interest in finding the truth," he said. "There was strong interest in building a case against me."



Heart - Black

Religious discrimination in Pakistan: Imran Khan condemns attack on Sikh gurdwara

Gurdwara Nankana Sahib, where the first Guru of Sikhs, Guru Nanak, was born was attacked by a mob and pelted with stones.
Imran Khan
Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan said on Sunday he has "zero tolerance" for the people who attacked a Sikh shrine near Lahore, alleging that unlike Indian leader Narendra Modi he doesn't support violence against minorities.

Gurdwara Nankana Sahib, where the first Guru of Sikhs, Guru Nanak, was born was attacked by a mob and pelted with stones on Friday before the police stepped, said media reports.

There is a "major difference between the condemnable Nankana incident and the ongoing attacks across India on Muslims and other minorities," said Khan on Twitter.

Comment: See also: