Welcome to Sott.net
Fri, 27 Nov 2020
The World for People who Think

Society's Child
Map

Che Guevara

Cuba's Ladies in White warned public protests no longer allowed

Image
© Reuters
Members of dissident group The Ladies in White march during their weekly protest in Havana.
The women said that state security told them that they can attend mass in Havana, but cannot march outside. The action comes a week before Pope Benedict XVI arrives for three-day visit.

Cuba's Ladies in White say the secret police have told them that they will shut down the only public protests allowed by the government anywhere on the island - the marches staged by the women after Sunday masses in Havana's Santa Rita church.

The threat came as police arrested more than 70 group members over the weekend and dissidents stepped up their activities as Cuba prepares for Pope Benedict XVI's three-day visit to Havana and the eastern city of Santiago de Cuba, starting Monday.

The Ladies in White have been generally allowed to protest outside the Santa Rita church since mid-2010, when Cardinal Jaime Ortega interceded with the government after the women were accosted, sometimes lewdly, several times by mobs of government supporters.

Their Sunday marches after mass at Santa Rita, where many churchgoers are foreign residents of Havana, along the grassy median of Fifth Avenue in the western neighborhood of Miramar have been the only such regularly occurring protest in Cuba.

Police have cracked down harshly, however, when women tried to launch similarly peaceful marches elsewhere, including the cathedral in the city of Santiago de Cuba and the Basilica of Our Lady of Charity in El Cobre, both in eastern Cuba.

Heart - Black

Israeli settlers taking over Palestinian springs: UN report

Israeli settlers spring
© AFP/File, Jaafar Ashtiyeh
Israeli settlers shovel the ground to divert water from a spring in the West Bank village of Karawa Bani Hassan
Israeli settlers have taken over dozens of natural springs in the West Bank, limiting or preventing Palestinian access to much-needed water sources, a United Nations report said on Monday.

The report produced by the UN's Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said at least 30 springs across the West Bank had been completely taken over by settlers, with Palestinians unable to access them at all.

In most instances, the report said, "Palestinians have been deterred from accessing the springs by acts of intimidation, threats and violence perpetrated by Israeli settlers."

Pistol

Shootings in Toulouse and Montauban: What we know

Image

Sarkozy is personally overseeing the investigation. In the middle of an election campaign too. Hmmm...
Three gun attacks which left seven people dead and two wounded have sparked a security alert in south-western France, with fears that the same killer could be at work.

In each case the attacker is said to have been a gunman on a moped, using the same gun, striking in broad daylight.

All of the attacks took place within a radius of about 50km (30 miles), between the city of Toulouse and town of Montauban.

The first two shootings saw soldiers targeted but the third took place at a school.

What the victims have in common is that they belong to, or are associated with, ethnic or religious minorities - North African, Caribbean and Jewish.

Comment: Helmeted assassins on motorbikes?

Iranian nuclear scientist killed in motorbike attack

Iranian chemist killed by motorbike assassins

Israel Helped Train Those Motorcycle Assassins in Iran


Eye 1

Browne Says Bales Wasn't Drunk and Can't Remember

John Henry Browne
© unknown
John Henry Browne
US: Fort Leavenworth, Kansas - The defense of accused murderer Sgt. Robert Bales began Monday when he spent more than seven hours with three of his lawyers, including defense attorney John Henry Browne.

At their meeting, Bales did not confess to the crime.

"He has no memory of...he has an early memory of that evening and he has a later memory of that, but he doesn't have memory of the evening in between.," Browne said.

Witnesses describe Bales as going deliberately from room to room in several houses while killing people, not in some kind of berserk attack. Browne said that despite the descriptions of his apparently deliberate actions, Bales remembers none of what happened.

Browne also said reports of his being drunk that night were not really true.

Stormtrooper

Lawyer Describes Talk with Afghan Killings Suspect

Robert Bales
© unknown
Staff Sgt. Robert Bales during an exercise at the National Training Center in Fort Irwin, California
US, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas - A Seattle lawyer who is defending an Army staff sergeant suspected of killing 16 Afghans, including nine children, met Monday with the soldier for the first time at Fort Leavenworth, a conversation the attorney described as emotional.

Lawyer John Henry Browne said he met for more than three hours with Robert Bales, a 10-year Army veteran who is being held in an isolated cell at the military prison.

"What's going on on the ground in Afghanistan, you read about it, I read about it, but it's totally different when you hear about it from somebody who's been there," Browne told The Associated Press by telephone during a lunch break. "It's just really emotional."

Bales, 38, and Browne are expected to meet again Monday afternoon.

Bales has not been charged yet in the March 11 shootings, which have endangered relations between the U.S. and Afghanistan and threatened to upend American policy over the decade-old war. Formal charges are expected to be filed within a week.

Post spokeswoman Rebecca Steed said earlier that Bales would be able to meet Browne in what is described as a privileged visit. Along with medical visits, such meetings are generally more private than others conducted in the prison.

Bales is "already being integrated into the normal pre-trial confinement routine," Steed said.

Comment: The reader is encouraged to read the Sott Focus US Marines Look Deep Inside Their Souls - Find Vacuum - Decide To Kill Afghan Villagers by Joe Quinn for a better understanding of the situation involving this 'lone gunman'.


Attention

Dutch Roman Catholic Church 'castrated at least 10 boys' in the 1950s!

Image
© omroepbrabant
The NRC Handelsblad newspaper identified Henk Heithuis who was castrated in 1956
At least 10 teenage boys or young men under the age of 21 were surgically castrated "to get rid of homosexuality" while in the care of the Dutch Roman Catholic Church in the 1950s.

Evidence of the castrations has emerged amid controversy that it was not included in the findings of an official investigation into sexual abuse within the church last year.

The NRC Handelsblad newspaper identified Henk Heithuis who was castrated in 1956, while a minor, after reporting priests to the police for abusing him in a Catholic boarding home.

Joep Dohmen, the investigative journalist who uncovered the Heithuis case, also found evidence of at least nine other castrations. "These cases are anonymous and can no longer be traced," he said. "There will be many more. But the question is whether those boys, now old men, will want to tell their story."

Mr. Potato

'Kony 2012′ filmmaker expected to be released from mental hospital soon

Image
© Invisible Children
Jason Russell
The wife of Jason Russell, the creator of the viral Kony 2012 video, said her husband was suffering from "extreme exhaustion and dehydration," after police found him last week nearly naked and incoherent in his San Diego neighborhood.

Russell's wife Danica said in a statement that her 33-year-old husband's meltdown was not caused by drugs or alcohol. "Jason has never had a substance abuse or drinking problem, and this episode wasn't caused by either of those things," she wrote. "But yes, he did some irrational things brought on by extreme exhaustion."

Russell was expected to be released soon from a mental facility. A spokeswoman for Invisible Children, the San Diego-based advocacy group Russell co-founded, did not return a request from Yahoo News for comment.

"Because of how personal the [Kony] film is, many of the attacks against it were also very personal and Jason took them very hard," Danica's statement continued. "Jason has dedicated his adult life to this cause, leading to KONY 2012. We thought a few thousand people would see the film, but in less than a week, millions of people around the world saw it."

Family

Recent Immigrants Cost Taxpayers $16B a Year: Fraser Institute

Image
© The Canadian Press
The common refrain is that Canada needs immigration to mitigate current and future labour shortages and to help pay the medical bills for our aging population.

The Fraser Institute says hogwash to that. The sometimes controversial right-wing think tank says recent immigrants are actually a huge burden to Canadian taxpayers.

According to its report released Thursday, those who arrived in Canada between 1987 and 2004 received about $6,000 more in government services per immigrant in 2005 than they paid in taxes.

"Immigrants arriving in Canada since 1987 are not doing as well economically as immigrants who arrived before 1987," said Herbert Grubel, Fraser Institute senior fellow and co-author of the study titled Fiscal Transfers to Immigrants in Canada: Responding to Critics and a Revised Estimate.

"As a result of Canada's welfare-state policies, our progressive income taxes, and universal social programs, these immigrants impose a huge fiscal burden on Canadian taxpayers of between $16 billion and $23 billion annually."

Heart - Black

Inhuman: Kids found slashed in home fire; mom charged

Mother allegedly sliced kids' throats and started blaze; children in critical condition

A mother accused of slashing her children's throats and setting fire to the family's apartment had removed the unit's inside doorknob, sealed vents, covered sprinklers and disabled the smoke alarm, prosecutors said Monday at the woman's arraignment.

Image
© Aram Boghosian/The Boston Globe
Tanicia Goodwin appeared in Salem District Court today where she was charged with attempted murder for allegedly slashing the throats of her two children, who were critically injured.
Tanicia Goodwin was ordered held without bail pending an appearance in court next week. A judge will then decide if she's eligible for bail on two counts of assault with intent to murder, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and arson.

The 25-year-old Goodwin didn't enter a plea.

She held her head low and didn't speak in court other than to answer in the affirmative when the judge asked if she needed a court-appointed lawyer.

Document

Encyclopedia Britannica ends its print edition after 244 years

Encyclopedia Britannica
© Unknown
Encyclopedia Britannica is the longest-running manufacturer of printed encyclopedias, with its first edition printed in Scotland in 1768
As the march of the iPad and Kindle continues unabated, the oldest manufacturer of encyclopedias has become one of the first major book publishing casualties of the digital age by cutting out its entire print operation.

The Encyclopedia Britannica, which has been in continuous print since it was first published in Edinburgh in 1768, said today that it will continue with digital versions currently available online.

The final set of the 32-volume printed edition remains available for sale on the company's website for £890 ($1,400).