Welcome to Sott.net
Wed, 24 Aug 2016
The World for People who Think

Society's Child
Map

Eye 2

Japanese father stabs son to death for not doing homework

© Thomas Peter / Reuters
A 12-year-old boy has been stabbed to death by his father because he reportedly did not study for a school entrance exam in Japan's Aichi prefecture.

Kengo Satake, 48, told police he "argued with his son for not studying" for a test at a private junior high school, according to public broadcaster NHK.

"The father stabbed his son in the chest with a kitchen knife," a spokesperson said.

Parents are often under pressure for their children to attend prestigious schools as a sign of respect and competition for entry to the top schools is intense in Japan.

Pirates

Turkish MP: Daesh militants who fled Manbij now in Turkey for revenge on Kurds

© SPUTNIK/ HIKMET DURGUN
Mahmut Togrul
Daesh militants who fled Manbij after its liberation last week, were able to enter Turkey and strengthen the terrorist presence in the province of Gaziantep, Turkish MP Mahmut Togrul told Sputnik.

On Saturday 54 people were killed and more than 100 injured after a suicide bombing at a Kurdish wedding party in Turkey's southeastern city of Gaziantep. The Turkish government has said that the attack was carried out by a Daesh terrorist.

Local politicians told Sputnik Türkiye that several terror cells are operating in Gaziantep, where the local people now fear another attack.

Mahmut Togrul, a Turkish MP who represents Gaziantep on behalf of the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party, linked the attack to the recent liberation of Manbij in northern Syria from Daesh.

Comment: The SDF allegedly made the decision on their own to let Daesh flee Manbij. So not only have U.S.-backed Kurdish forces attacked the Syrian Army in Hasakah, they allowed hundreds of Daesh terrorists to flee to Turkey. While Turkey has been ambiguous about its continued support for al-Qaeda-linked 'moderate rebels' in Syria, they do appear to be serious about going after Daesh, making them a target for the terror group. With or without U.S. oversight, Daesh will continue to attack Turkey, thus fulfilling U.S. wishes. In turn, this will just solidify the growing Turkey-Russia-Iran-Syria alliance.

Today, Cumhuriyet reported that documents found in the house of Yunus Durmas, who committed a suicide attack in Gaziantep in May 2015, with a list of Daesh targets within Turkey.
The list of targets includes the wedding venue where a recent suicide attack claimed the lives of over 50 people, the publication reported. The list of Daesh targets also includes Alawites (a branch of Islam) villages in southeastern Turkey and along the Mediterranean shore, meeting places of political parties, as well as popular night clubs in Antalya, according to the media outlet.



People 2

Albuquerque, New Mexico: Teachers told not to use the terms 'boys and girls'

© carlosrey.aps.edu
A Carlos Rey Elementary School classroom of not boys and girls.
Teachers at Carlos Rey Elementary School are in a tough situation after their assistant principal told them to stop calling their students "boys and girls." It seems the school administrators decided to take the new transgender bathroom policy for Albuquerque Public Schools a step further. This appears to the first example of something that started as a bathroom issue now expanding into daily life in the classroom.

A letter sent to teachers at Carlos Rey this month titled "Gender Identity Procedural Directive" states teachers can no longer refer to their students as boys and girls starting this month, telling them to eliminate gender in their classrooms.

It incites a passionate reaction from both sides.


Comment: The City of New York has 31 gender identities and all of them have to use the bathroom.


Handcuffs

Police claim group involved in assault and robbery chanted 'Black Lives Matter' during attack

© Summit County Police
Six of the seven suspects in the assault and robbery on August 21, 2016 in Akron, Ohio, during which they chanted "Black Lives Matter"
An assault and robbery of seven men in Akron, Ohio may have been racially motivated, police said. A group chanting "Black Lives Matter" attacked and robbed seven white men near the University of Akron, before running away. Seven suspects were arrested.

The incident happened shortly after midnight on Sunday in the area of Carroll and Goodkirk Streets near the University of Akron, WOIO-TV reported. Seven white men were walking when they were set upon by five black and two white men who chanted "Black Lives Matter," police said.

The seven suspects attacked their victims with bottles, while punching and kicking them, according to the police. One victim reportedly fell to the ground and was kicked in the head several times before passing out. The assailants then robbed the victims and fled with the loot.

Officers with both the Akron city police and the University of Akron force responded to the incident and found the suspects nearby.

The seven men arrested have all been identified as residents of nearby Canton, Ohio. Charges against the group include riot, assault, robbery, and receiving stolen property.

Bomb

Explosion and 'multiple casualties' reported at wedding ceremony in Turkey - UPDATES

© Umit Bektas / Reuters file photo
A suicide bomber reportedly targeted a wedding ceremony in the city of Gaziantep in southern Turkey near the border with Syria on Saturday night. The local governor said it was carried out by "terrorist organizations."

"A suicide bomber blew himself up" in a neighborhood where a wedding was taking place, according to a Twitter user Efridun.

At least 8 people were killed and 30 injured in the attack, according to preliminary information from the authorities, Turkish journalist Mete Sohtaoglu said on Twitter.

Other unconfirmed reports on social media say around a dozen people have been killed and scores injured.

Comment: Update 1

The death toll has risen to 22 30; 94 wounded. Parliamentary deputy from the ruling AKP Party, Samil Tayyar, said that he believed that the Daesh terror network was behind the attack, not the PKK.

Update 2

The death toll is now 51. The region hit is largely Kurdish, and according to a member of the Gazientep parliament, the wedding was Kurdish. So far, no groups have claimed responsibility, but the Turks are suggesting Daesh responsibility (Daesh typically doesn't claim their attacks within Turkey). Erdogan says there is "no difference" between Daesh, the PKK, and Gulen. He also says the suicide bomber was a 12-14-year-old child. A prosecutor's office said they had uncovered a destroyed suicide vest at the site of the blast. The groom was injured, but both he and the bride survived the attack. "The celebrations were coming to an end and there was a big explosion among people dancing," 25-year-old Veli Can said, according to Reuters. "There was blood and body parts everywhere."

Update 3

(Aug. 21) The bride and groom have been re-admitted to the hospital. Footage "shows the groom sitting and crying next to the entrance of their house, which is full of shattered glass inside. His fainting bride is then carried out of the house and taken to the car. The two were transported to the Gaziantep Medical Faculty Hospital, according to RT sister news agency Ruptly."

Update 4

(Aug. 23) The death toll has now reached 54 (66 wounded, 14 critically). Two of the victims were Syrian children; tragically, their parents had fled Syria to escape Daesh. The mother of the groom says that she saw the suicide bomber and - contrary to Erdogan's claim that it was a child - "it was not a child but an adult. When he realized that I had noticed him, he rushed straight into the crowd of guests. A few seconds later there was an explosion."


Eye 2

NGO finds alleged sexual abuse by French peacekeepers in Central African Republic occurred on "wider scale than previously thought"

© Andreea Campeanu / Reuters
French soldiers conduct a daytime patrol in a neighbourhood in Bangui
Child and adult abuse allegedly committed by French peacekeepers in the Central African Republic may have taken place on a much wider scale than previously thought, a local NGO believes. The republic's president has urged France to ensure justice is done.

Yamacuir Centrafrique, an NGO based in CAR capital Bangui, believes the sexual crimes committed by French troops could number more than 100, far more than "a dozen" of officially recognized cases.

Yvan, an NGO officer, told Sputnik France there have been "more than a hundred" victims of sexual abuse by French troops - including children and adults - interviewed by his organization between 2014 and 2015.

Sputnik also interviewed two of the girls who accuse French troops of abuse.

"I was 13 at the time," one of the victims, identified as Yasinthe, said. "I sold oranges and French troops asked me to a room at their base. When I entered it, one of them jumped on me and raped me.

"There was nothing I could do," she said, adding that no apology or compensation from the French military authorities followed.

Pills

UK's National Health Service found to have prescribed antidepressant to 1yo boy and over 450 children over five-month period

© Darren Staples / Reuters
A one-year-old boy was prescribed antidepressants by Britain's National Health Service (NHS), it has emerged.

NHS Tayside in Dundee, Scotland, prescribed the medication to the child in 2014, according to figures obtained by the Dundee Evening Telegraph. The Trust prescribed anti-depressants to 450 children over a five-month period between January and May this year.

Figures reveal the most common age group to be given antidepressants were children aged between 14 and 17 and that girls are more likely to be prescribed the drug than boys.

Although very young children are sometimes prescribed antidepressants for problems including bed-wetting and chronic pain, NHS guidelines state that under 18s should not be given the drug.

Bullseye

New Jersey: Random drug tests for middle school students with stiff penalties for positive results

Random drug-testing of middle-schoolers — with penalties — has become a reality for a school district in New Jersey that already does so with high school students.

Though the Lacey Township Board of Education program will be implemented purely on a "voluntary" basis for seventh and eighth graders who participate in athletic programs and extracurricular activities — and only then with parental consent — the invasiveness of the plan should sound a number of alarm bells.

"I'm a supporter for any intervention to give another reason for kids to say 'no' and that can start at any age, especially with our young teens," district superintendent Craig Wigley told NJ Advance Media following the school board's vote on August 15.

Cell Phone

Are people finally getting sick of Pokémon Go? 10 million users quit

Pokémon Go is starting to lose its buzz, with the latest tracking data seeming to suggest the game is simply a fad.

It had almost 45 million daily users in July, but this figure appears to have sunk by more than 12 million since the start of August, to just over 30 million said to be playing Pokémon Go. Further decline is expected, as downloads, engagement, and the time users spend on the app have all also visibly flopped, according to data provided by Sensor Tower, SurveyMonkey, and Apptopia.

Bloomberg, which saw the raw data, reported that other major apps such as Twitter, Facebook, and Snapchat "can breathe a sigh of relief" that Pokémon Go is finally wobbling, as the game's popularity had apparently been costing them considerable amounts of users.

Comment: Great. We can't wait for more Pokémon idiocy.


Bomb

Report: Nigerian air raid 'fatally wounds' Boko Haram leader - for the third time

© AFP
Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau
Nigeria says the leader of one of the deadliest terror groups in the world, Boko Haram, was fatally wounded in an airstrike carried out by the Nigerian military in its northeastern Borno State, according to media reports citing a senior official.

The Nigerian army has carried out a "most unprecedented and spectacular air raid" and "fatally wounded" Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, read a statement released early on Tuesday by Colonel and Acting Director of Nigerian Army Public Relations, Sani Kukasheka Usman, according to the media.

The strike was reportedly carried out on August 19 in the village of Taye.

"In what one could describe as the most unprecedented and spectacular air raid, we have just confirmed that as a result of the interdiction efforts of the Nigerian Air Force, some key leaders of the Boko Haram terrorists have been killed while others were fatally wounded," Usman said.

"[At the time of the strike] the terrorists were performing Friday rituals."

This is not the first time the Nigerian army has claimed to have killed Abubakar Shekau - similar reports were made in 2013 and 2014.

Comment: One wonders what makes one air raid so "unprecedented and spectacular"! More on Shakau: