Welcome to Sott.net
Tue, 21 Sep 2021
The World for People who Think

Society's Child
Map

Newspaper

Girls will return to secondary schools in Afghanistan, but only after 'safe environment' is set up, Taliban tells media

Kabul
© Felipe Dana / AP
Girls in a school in Kabul, Afghanistan, September 12, 2021.
The Taliban has said that girls can return to secondary schools only after Afghanistan's militant-led government creates a secure environment for them. So far, only boys have been allowed to resume their studies.

"We are not against education of girls, but we are still working on mechanisms of how their school attendance can be possible," Taliban spokesperson Zabiullah Mujahid told Germany's Der Spiegel magazine.

Mujahid said that a safe environment and transportation must be guaranteed for female students before they are allowed back in classrooms. He said legal scholars must prepare a report on how to set up a secure environment for girls and women in education and employment.

Comment: As noted above, the country has just come out of a war that lasted nearly two decades, it's going to take a little more time for them to get their act together. Moreover, there is still the very real threat that the West and its allies will try to cause havoc, even if they've 'officially' left:


Handcuffs

Hong Kong students held for inciting subversion accused of supplying prisoners with goods, urging them to "liberate" country & train for revolution

hong kong students
© Hong Kong Police, via video screenshot.
Items confiscated by the police from Student Politicism’s community space and warehouse.
Three Hong Kong student leaders, aged 18 to 20, have been arrested under the national security law for allegedly conspiring to incite subversion, partly because they allegedly attempted to recruit "like-minded people" in prison by providing gifts such as chocolate.

The three members of Student Politicism, including convenor Wong Yat-chin and secretary general Chan Chi-sum, were arrested early Monday. They are also alleged to have incited hatred against Hong Kong's government by urging people not to use the LeaveHomeSafe Covid tracking app and by other means.

Comment: This kind of behaviour wouldn't be tolerated by any Western government, and the situation is very real in Hong Kong where foreign interests have been caught attempting to subvert the country:


Quenelle - Golden

'F**k the jab!': CHAOS in Australia as construction workers violently protest vaccine mandate outside union HQ

construction workers
A violent protest against mandatory Covid-19 vaccination erupted outside of a Melbourne trade union office on Monday, after it was announced that construction workers would have to be vaccinated to continue doing their jobs.

Protesters wearing high-vis construction clothing smashed windows, chanted "We are union!" and "F**k the jab," and threw projectiles at the Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) headquarters. Union officials attempted to barricade the doors and used a fire extinguisher to spray demonstrators from inside.


Comment: Spraying them with a fire extinguisher surely didn't help calm matters.


Others tried to diffuse the situation, waving their hands in the air and shouting for those engaged in the violence to stop, but to no avail.

Melbourne riot police eventually turned up to the scene and approached protesters in formation carrying shields, batons, and guns.

Comment: Note that construction workers across much of the locked down planet were considered 'essential' and so worked throughout this government declared 'deadly pandemic'. Is it any wonder they're are furious that, suddenly, they now must suffer an injection, that they managed quite fine without for the last 18 months and if they don't they'll lose their jobs? It's also likely they're well aware of the endless reports of injection injury, and deaths, as well as the suffocating police state they're living under. It seems the pathocrats in Australia may be pushing people to their limit.










Airplane

Afghan killed by drone praised by co-workers in US aid group

bombed house
© AP/Bernat Armangue
Inspecting the damage of Ahmadi family house destroyed in US drone strike
The Afghan man who was killed in a U.S. drone strike last month was an enthusiastic and beloved longtime employee at an American humanitarian organization, his colleagues say, painting a stark contrast to the Pentagon's claims that he was an Islamic State group militant about to carry out an attack on American troops.

Signs have been mounting that the U.S. military may have targeted the wrong man in the Aug. 29 strike in Kabul, with devastating consequences, killing seven children and two other adults from his family. The Pentagon says it is further investigating the strike, but it has no way to do so on the ground in Afghanistan after the Taliban takeover, severely limiting its ability to gather evidence.

Accounts from the family, documents from colleagues seen by The Associated Press, and the scene at the family home — where Zemerai Ahmadi's car was struck by a Hellfire missile just as he pulled into the driveway — all seem to sharply contradict the accounts by the U.S. military. Instead, they paint the picture of a family that had worked for Americans and were trying to gain visas to the United States, fearing for their lives under the Taliban.

At the home, the mangled, incinerated Toyota Corolla remains in the driveway. But there are no signs of large secondary blasts the Pentagon said were caused by explosives hidden in the car trunk. In the tightly cramped, walled compound, the house is undamaged except for broken glass, even a badly built wooden balcony remains in place. A brick wall immediately adjacent to the car stands intact. Trees and foliage close to the car are not burned or torn.

The family wants the United States to hear their side of the story and see the facts on the ground.

Comment: Tucker doesn't mince words on this tragic and avoidable tragedy:

See also:


Hammer

Building supply shortages developing around the country

construction worker
© Jericho Rock-Archer
Construction worker in Wellington, NZ
Some building suppliers are already running out of stock as the effect of Auckland's Level 4 lockdown begins to bite in the rest of the country.

Insulation supplier Tasman Insulation, owned by Fletcher Building, told clients that its Christchurch warehouse was out of Pink Batts, and it was unable to get any more from Auckland, where the factory was unable to operate.
"At this point we envisage we will not be able to supply our product anywhere in New Zealand or take orders until Auckland's restrictions reduce to level three."
It continued to try and seek government approval to resume manufacturing or distribution but "at this stage we have low confidence we will be able to achieve this". The situation meant there was only "extremely limited stock" in Auckland either, a Fletcher Building spokesperson said.

The Building Industry Federation and others have expressed alarm that the Government will not give building suppliers an exemption to transport goods out of Auckland. BIF claims around 90 per cent of building suppliers are imported or made in Auckland and that building sites around the rest of the country could run out in days.

Comment: 'Out of Stock!' UK factories hard put to fulfill requests:
British manufacturers reported the worst stock shortages on record, caused in large part by a post-lockdown lack of components for the electronics industry and in plastics, according to a survey published on Monday.

The Confederation of British Industry's index for stock adequacy fell to the lowest since the survey began in 1977, sinking to -14 from July's -11, the third record low in as many months.

The survey also showed expectations for output price growth over the next three months remained close to June's nearly 30-year high, something the Bank of England will note after it said this month that it planned modest tightening of monetary policy.

The CBI's index for industrial output growth in the three months to August slipped from a record high in July, easing back to +22 from +37. But orders edged up to +18 from +17. Economists polled by Reuters had expected a reading of +16 for orders.

Alpesh Paleja, a CBI economist, said:
"Manufacturing activity remained strong this month, with total order books remaining firm and most sub-sectors reporting rising output. However, early signs from the data suggest that growth in activity may have peaked."
The slowing of output growth was largely caused by the motor vehicles sub-sector which has been hit hard by a shortage of chips.



Arrow Up

Despite 95% vaccination rate, Cornell today has five times more COVID cases than it did this time last year

Cornell tent
© Cornell Chronicle
Cornell University COVID supply tent on campus
ANALYSIS: If the goal is to prevent infection, the 95 percent vaccination rate on Cornell's campus has not accomplished that

Cornell University has aggressively pushed its students to get vaccinated, announcing a vaccine mandate for the 2021-22 academic year in April and frequently denying religious and medical exemptions.

As a result, 95 percent of the campus population, both students and faculty, is vaccinated.

Despite this, Cornell University has more than five times the amount of confirmed positive cases during its first week of this academic year than it did during its first week of the 2020-21 academic year, according to the Cornell COVID dashboard.

By the numbers, during the first week of school that ran from Aug. 27 to Sept. 2 of this academic year, Cornell reported 322 positive COVID-19 cases. In comparison, during the first week of school last year, which ran from Sept. 3 through Sept. 9 of 2020, Cornell reported 59 positive COVID-19 cases.

That is 263 more cases, or more than five times the amount of positive cases, when comparing the first week of school.

Comment: How peer pressure and persuasion works:




Pistol

At least 2 people shot at Virginia high school, police responding to 'major incident'

shooting high school virginia

Heritage High School in Newport News, Virginia was the site of a multiple shooting September 20, 2021
FBI and the local police have responded to an alleged shooting at Heritage High School in Newport News, Virginia. Two schools have been put on lockdown amid reports of two people shot, but expected to survive.

Newport News police reported a shooting at Heritage just before noon local time on Monday. There were initially multiple reports of wounded and even killed, citing radio traffic from the site.

A male and a female, both 17, were shot after "some kind of altercation" in the school cafeteria, Police Chief Steve Drew told reporters. The male was struck in the head, and a female in the lower leg. Two more people were hospitalized, one with a sprained or broken arm and another for breathing issues due to asthma.

Comment: Newport News local station WSET updates the story:
One person is in custody after a shooting inside Heritage High School in Newport News, Virginia Monday morning. The person in custody is a juvenile male, according to Newport News Police.

Officers were called to the school around 11:38 a.m. for a report of a shooting inside. Officials said the scene was chaotic, but students knew to shelter in place.

Four or five people were taken to the hospital with injuries, police said, two of them with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds. A 17-year-old boy was shot in the face and a 17-year-old girl was shot in the lower leg. police officials said. Two other people were transported for breathing issues and for a sprained or broken arm. Another person may have taken themselves to the hospital.

Some evidence was recovered from the scene, but police officials wouldn't go into details. The investigation is ongoing and police are working with the FBI and Virginia State Police.

Chief Drew said they do believe the suspect knew the victims.



Oil Well

28 percent of Gulf of Mexico oil production still offline following Hurricane Ida

oil platform damage hurricanes gulf of mexico
© Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement
An oil platform toppled by hurricane winds in the Gulf of Mexico during the 2013 season.
Crude oil production in the United States had fallen sharply over the last two weeks in the wake of Hurricane Ida, but production for the next reporting period is on track to be down as well, as 28% of all crude oil production in the Gulf of Mexico still remains shut-in after the hurricane.

Meanwhile, WTI prices have risen from $69.21 per barrel as the hurricane hit, to $72.62 today — a nearly 5% rise.

Initially, the hurricane wiped out nearly all of the oil production in the Gulf of Mexico. Today — weeks later — 28.24% of Gulf of Mexico oil production is still shut in, according to BSEE, along with 39.4% of all gas production on the Gulf.

Fire

Fire shuts down one of UK's most important power cables in midst of supply crunch

fire national grid power station england shortage
© PHil Moo
The fire at the National Grid site broke out just after midnight on September 15, 2021
Coal plants being warmed up as market prices surge to £2,500 per MWh from a norm of £40

A major fire has forced the shutdown of one of Britain's most important power cables importing electricity from France as the UK faces a supply crunch and record high market prices.

National Grid was forced to evacuate staff from the site of the IFA high-voltage power cable, which brings electricity from France to a converter station in Kent, where 12 fire engines attended the blaze in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

The fire has halted electricity imports via the 2,000 megawatt power cable until March next year and could not have come at a worse time for the UK's squeezed markets, according to experts. The UK faces record energy prices after a global gas market surge raised the cost of running gas power plants, which has been compounded by a string of power plant outages and low wind speeds.

Comment:


Attention

Lancet U-turns over Covid lab leak theory: Publishes 'alternative view' calling for 'transparent debate' on virus origins

peter Daszak wuhan laboratory covid
© 60 Minutes
It was revealed earlier this year that Peter Daszak – a British scientist with long-standing links to the Wuhan Institute of Virology – had secretly orchestrated a landmark statement in The Lancet. Pictured, Peter Daszak at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, 2020
The Lancet medical journal has bowed to pressure over its heavily-criticised coverage of the disputed origins of the Covid pandemic by publishing an 'alternative view' from 16 scientists - calling for an 'objective, open and transparent debate' about whether the virus leaked from a Chinese laboratory.

It was revealed earlier this year that Peter Daszak - a British scientist with long-standing links to the Wuhan Institute of Virology - had secretly orchestrated a landmark statement in The Lancet in February 2020 which attacked 'conspiracy theories suggesting that Covid-19 does not have a natural origin'.

The now-infamous letter, signed by 27 leading public health experts, said they stood together to 'strongly condemn' the theories which they said 'do nothing but create fear, rumours, and prejudice'.