© iStockPhoto
A hyena attacked and killed two children before injuring five other people at Boru Haru village in Marsabit County.

Kenya Wildlife Service rangers have since been mobilized to hunt down the beast that is on the run after the incident happened on Wednesday morning.

Locals and police said the incident happened after the wild animal raided the village.

Police named those killed as Quriti Rob, six and Darartu Wario also six while those injured were Tawaro Wario, 60, Bokayo Wako 16, Jilo Doba 20, Rob Tache 23 and Bonaya Galgalo aged 16

Police on the ground and officials at the Marsabit Hospital said they sustained multiple injuries but they were in a stable condition.

Marsabit Central OCPD Mark Wanjala said his officers were also roped in to help in tracking down the animal with a view of killing it.

He added the incident was reported to them long after the hyena had escaped. Those in hospital were waiting to be vaccinated against rabies following fears the animal could be infected with the disease.

Hyena attacks are common in the region.

The animals scavenge for food and wander into homesteads from nearby parks where they attack humans and other animals.

In August 2014, a woman fought off a hyena, which invaded her home in Laikipia County.

Namaita Lengoloya, 38, with her four children have been vaccinated against rabies after tests showed the hyena was suffering from the disease

NamaitaĆ¢s case put KenyaĆ¢s preparedness to handle the disease in the spotlight as the vaccine could only be found in Nairobi while antibodies were procured from a private hospital in Nairobi.

Namaita, a housewife single-handedly fought off the hyena at the break of dawn as she and her four children slept.

She quickly picked up a piece of firewood to defend herself as the hungry beast burst into the house and attacked her at Maundu ni Meri, Laikipia West.

The 3am battle lasted for over half an hour before neighbours came to their rescue. Two of their neighbours also sustained injuries and have received the anti-rabies vaccine and antibodies.

The beast violently pushed the door open and entered.

Following the incident, wildlife officers collected brain samples from the dead hyena to test for rabies infection only to confirm their fears.

In September 2012, a man was seriously injured after surviving a vicious hyena attack. The man sustained serious facial injuries and had to be airlifted by the Flying Doctors service to Nairobi for treatment.