Akron General outpatient facility back to normal

The cause of the strong odor that forced the evacuation of an Akron General Medical Center outpatient facility Wednesday still has not been determined.

Heating experts found nothing wrong with the boilers during an inspection Wednesday, Akron General spokesman Jim Armstrong said Thursday. The carbon monoxide detectors were showing readings of zero.

''So it's still kind of a mystery,'' he said. ''We're keeping an eye on the situation.''

About 100 people were evacuated Wednesday morning from the Community Health Center of Akron, which sits downtown between Broadway and South High streets.

Two people were transported to Akron General, where they were treated and released, and 15 others were treated at the scene. Victims complained of dizziness, nausea, headaches and a strange taste in their mouths.

The Akron Fire Department's hazardous materials unit was unable to find a cause for the smell, department spokesperson Ed Sturkey said on Wednesday. Air readings inside the building were normal.

The building reopened for business Wednesday afternoon and continues to operate as normal, Armstrong said.

''We're confident that whatever problem occurred (Wednesday) has not reoccurred,'' he said.