LOS ANGELES - The Pacific Northwest was on Saturday recovering from a violent windstorm as about 500,000 remained without power, officials said.

Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire proclaimed a state of emergency for the entire state, expanding one issued Friday night for 17 of the state's 39 counties, said Rob Harper of Washington State Emergency Management.

A break in the weather on Saturday allowed Oregon rescuers to renew their search for three missing hikers on Mount Hood but stormy weather expected overnight on Sunday gives them a limited search window, rescuers said.

The storm may have cost more lives, including three men missing off the coast in Oregon. Their 50-foot boat was found on Friday and the body of one man was found on Saturday washed ashore 50 miles away.

Oregon State Police spokesman Gregg Hastings said it is not known if the man had been aboard the boat.

Harper said the storm's death toll in Washington may rise from the four deaths reported on Friday. Local media reports said two more deaths were linked to the storm but Harper said the state's official count remained at four.

Sunday night's expected storm would be the fourth in a week for the Pacific Northwest, which also had record-breaking rains in November.

Winds reported up to 90 mph (144 kph) were reported in parts of Washington during the windstorm that began Thursday night. Winds in Seattle hit 69 mph (110 kph).

More than 1 million were without power in Washington, Oregon and near Vancouver at the height of the storm. Powerful winds toppling power lines were the main reasons for the record outages, said Grant Ringel, spokesman for Puget Sound Energy.

On Thursday and Friday, rescue efforts to find the three lost hikers were suspended due to high winds and blowing snow.

About 80 rescuers, including 50 on the mountain, will resume their search on Sunday for three men who began ascending the 11,235-foot Mount Hood on December 7. Their last known position was about 1,000 feet below the summit, based on a signal from a cellular telephone early Tuesday morning.

Sgt. Gary Tiffany from the Hood River County Sheriff's Department said it is hoped that the men had built a snowcave to protect themselves from temperatures to minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit adjusted for the chill of high winds.

"We know they took food and water and stoves with them," Tiffany said. "We're still optimistic."

The men are experienced hikers, Tiffany said. Two of the missing men are from Dallas, Brian Hall, 38, and Kelly James, 48, and one, Jerry Cooke, 36, is from Brooklyn, New York.

Puget Sound Energy on Saturday afternoon had 380,000 customers without service. About 70,000 customers of British Columbia Hydro were without power Saturday afternoon. Seattle City Light had about 40,000 outages.