Sinkholes
S

Arrow Down

Sinkholes collapse roads in Susquehanna Valley, Pennsylvania

Weather may be to blame for two sinkholes that collapsed Susquehanna Valley roads over the weekend and a partial house collapse.
York County

A big sinkhole has shut down part of a road in Carroll Township.

It opened along South Fileys Road at Big Oak Road.

The sinkhole is about 10 yards long and 5 yards wide.

There is no word on when repairs could be made.

Arrow Down

Sinkhole forces residents to evacuate in Illawong, Australia

The sinkhole in Illawong that opened up about 4pm on Monday.
More than a dozen people have fled their homes at Illawong in Sydney's south after a sinkhole swallowed a backyard on Monday afternoon.

The three-metre deep hole opened up about 4pm, forcing police and firefighters to evacuate a row of townhouses on Osprey Drive.

One man was asleep on his couch when he heard a loud crack in his garden outside, the man's friend, Hisham Bashir said.

"He looked outside and the tree had collapsed and the ground started to sink
," Mr Bashir said.

"Dirt had sprayed up all over his backyard and on the trampoline. There was dirt all over the windows.

"It's pretty scary, but these things happen," he said.

Bizarro Earth

Mysterious underwater vortex filmed in Thai lake

Mystery Swirl
© YouTube Screen Capture
A mystery vortex filmed swirling around in a lake in Thailand has left witnesses baffled.

The whirlpool was spotted in the aqua blue waters of Cheow Lan Lake, a dammed reservoir in Khao Sok National Park in the Surat Thani Province, and lasted for about two minutes.

The swirl left a long, wide trail of white bubbles as it moved through the water in a seemingly random figure-8 path in the video published on YouTube (watch video below) last week.

Arrow Down

Van driven into sinkhole in Cleveland, Ohio

© WOIOA woman drove into a sinkhole
A messy situation on Cleveland's east side, as Glenside Road was waterlogged and had a deceiving hole on Saturday.

The situation caused some headaches, especially for one driver whose van took a nose dive right into what she thought was a puddle.

"It just was like, boom, and then smoke started rolling up off of the driver's side," Dikisha Taylor said.

There was unexpected damage to her vehicle.

"The bumper, the light, the door, you can see it's still dripping water," she said.

Arrow Down

2 cars in landslide plunge on the Otago Peninsula, New Zealand

© nzvegaA section of Highcliff Rd had slipped away as the motorists made their way through the area
Barry McCone has evaded tree branches and wandering stock on the winding route home from work before, but nothing prepared him for his latest encounter.

A claw hammer was used to smash a rear window and free the Milton prison officer from his Ford Falcon, which was one of two vehicles that rolled off Highcliff Rd and into a deep hole caused by a landslide on the Otago Peninsula on Wednesday night.

"I was coming home from work, it was raining still quite heavily and it was foggy. I know that road pretty well, I came around the corner and the next thing I was tipping over, I didn't know what the hell was going on."

Arrow Down

Cement truck partly swallowed by sinkhole in Saskatoon

© Derek Zary A morning delivery in Saskatoon didn’t go according to plan after a cement truck fell into a sinkhole.
It was a sinking feeling for a morning delivery man in Saskatoon. A cement truck went through a sinkhole in a back alley on Mackie Crescent.

Derek Zary captured the moments afterwards on video.

Zary told Global News the fully loaded cement truck arrived around 8 a.m. Wednesday to make a delivery when it went through the sinkhole.

A crane had to be called in to lift the truck out of the hole - an operation that took three hours. Crews also had to deal with underground power lines, but power to the area did not have to be shut off.

Arrow Down

Massive sinkhole opens up inside business in Jackson Township, Pennsylvania

© Northern York County Regional PoliceThe sinkhole is seen inside the building Thursday.
It was 5:40 a.m. Thursday when Bob Sanders, a plant supervisor at Oldcastle Industrial Minerals in Jackson Township, heard what he called a "large bang" while sitting in his office.

Sanders discovered that a massive sinkhole - measuring an estimated 40 feet by 40 feet - had opened up inside the building at 550 S. Biesecker Road. The building, which houses Sanders' office, a maintenance shop and storage for parts, sits near South Biesecker Road.

Everyone inside the building evacuated safely and the fire department; and York Water Company and PennDOT were called, Sanders said. In addition, the building was cordoned off and South Biesecker Road was closed at its intersection with Route 30.

"There was water running," in the hole, Sanders said. "Is that what was causing it? We don't know, but we shut it off."

Comment: The chart below shows the clear rise in the number of sinkhole reports from across the world since 2010:

Arrow Down

Sinkhole swallows police SUV in Sheridan, Colorado

© KUSA-TV, DenverA police SUV was swallowed by a sinkhole Friday, June 5, 2015, in Sheridan, Colo. The police sergeant in the SUV was able to climb out of the SUV and the sinkhole.
A police sergeant on patrol in his department SUV was swallowed by a massive sinkhole here, Sheridan Police said.

Sgt. Greg Miller was traveling eastbound on West Oxford Avenue south of Denver early Friday morning when the road gave way.

"Next thing I know ... dirt — I'm assuming dust from the airbag — was floating around and everything," said Miller. "I hear the rushing water, and all I see is a dirt wall in front of me."

The car ended up 10 to 15 feet below the road surface.

Arrow Down

Huge sinkhole opens up in Sofia, Bulgaria

© Georgi DraganovSinkhole in Sofia
Part of a pavement and roadway in Sofia's Cherni Vruh Boulevard collapsed on June 4, creating a large hole, apparently as a result of work on extending the city's metro underground railway line.

No one was injured in the incident.

Ivan Iliev, head of the construction project, said that the collapse happened near old tunnels, cable and heating systems.

A retaining wall would be built, the debris cleared and the hole filled with suitable material, he said, saying that normal traffic in the area would resume in a few days.

Comment: The chart below shows the clear rise in the number of sinkhole reports from across the world since 2010:

Arrow Down

Minivan falls into Saskatoon sinkhole

Minivan ends up in Saskatoon sinkhole
Passersby and employees of nearby Saskatoon businesses scrambled to help pull a woman and two children from a minivan that plunged into a large sinkhole. The sinkhole opened up at the intersection of 45th Street and Hanselman Avenue just before 5 p.m.

The woman driving the van thought she could simply drive over what she thought was a pothole.

Instead, the entire front end fell in and water started flooding the front seat. Everyone was able to get out safely.

The driver, who didn't give her name, said she was later told the van had not reached the bottom and was balancing on the edge.

The intersection where the accident happened is expected to be closed for several days while crews repair the damage and fix a broken water main that's believed to have carved out the crater.