Strange Sounds
S

Seismograph

Mystery 'sonic' booms are hitting Desert Hot Springs, Southern California, almost daily (Update)

Desert Hot Springs booms

A big mystery is surrounding Desert Hot Springs tonight after a series of powerful explosions has rocked the city. They shake windows and some residents describe them as small earthquakes.

The blasts began a couple of months ago and as recently as Monday night, the big booms have been shaking the foothill community.

Comment: They've been regularly heard throughout Southern California, along with many other parts of the US, off and on for some years now.

In a city of 27,000 people, no one knows what they are or where they are coming from. But they sure do hear them and feel them.

"They're like a big explosion. Totally like boom!" said Desert Hot Springs resident Regina Robinson.

Almost every evening big blasts rock several areas of the city. The Desert Hot Springs Police has received call after call. Everyone saying the same thing.

Comment: That strongly suggests something non-local, either atmospheric or deep underground. We suspect that most of these booms, particularly in an earthquake-prone areas like SOCAL, are seismic in origin.

Update:

On December 24th, Brian Blueskye of the CV Independent reported that residents of Desert Hot Springs are still hearing these baffling booms:
It's been a while since I've personally heard one, but other residents are still reporting them, often leading to discussions among the Desert Hot Springs Neighborhood Group on Facebook. People are demanding answers from Desert Hot Springs Chief of Police Dale Mondary.

Unfortunately, Mondary doesn't have any.

"Most of (the booms) don't get called into the police department at all," Mondary said. "I just notice them on social media when I'm tagged in those posts."

Mondary said he has no idea what's causing them.

"We have not been able to pinpoint a specific area," he said. "Honestly, part of it relates to our geographical location: We're surrounded by a mountain range, and the sound reverberates. People will call and say, 'I heard it right here,' or they post on social media, 'I heard it right here.' Then across the town, someone will say, 'No, I heard it from right here.' So that's obviously part of our problem. When we go and check these areas out, we find absolutely nothing-no signs of any explosives going off."

Question

'It gets louder and quieter': Strange sounds heard in Cleveland, Tennessee

Strange sky sounds (stock)
On January 2, 2019, YouTuber 'Stephen Lee Henderson' shared a video of strange sounds he heard coming from the sky in Cleveland, Tennessee on January 1st.

The weird 'woooooo' sound scared him enough that he ran back to his home after hearing it.

Bizarro Earth

Trumpeting sounds heard in the skies of southwestern Quebec, Canada

Strange sounds stock
On January 2, 2019, YouTube user 'Saba rah' posted video footage of strange sounds she heard in the skies of Pierrefonds, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. She reports that she's heard the sound before, 'but this time was really intense'.

Headphones

North Dublin residents report massive boom, house-shaking

Swords Castle in Dublin, Ireland
© Dublin Live
Several people in Swords took to social media this morning after reportedly hearing a loud bang - with one person saying "the whole house shook".

Local resident Lesley McKeever posted a question on her Facebook status shortly after 10am asking if anyone else had heard the loud bang - or felt the "huge shake".

She said: "Anyone else in Swords just feel a huge shake and hear a loud bang about ten minutes ago???

"The whole house shook...have checked everywhere inside and out nothing seems out of the ordinary???"

Others reported hearing the noise, which some suggested may have come from the nearby quarry at Feltrim.

Music

'Eerie trumpeting noises' heard in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

Strange sounds (stock)
© vexels.com
On December 1, 2018, YouTube user 'Huey Lewis' shared a clip of eerie trumpeting noises he heard on November 29th at 1:30 am in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada:

Attention

Strange noises heard in the skies of India

Strange sounds in India
© YouTube/Hammad Mustafa
On December 11, 2018, YouTuber 'Hammad Mustafa' uploaded video of strange noises he heard in the skies of India.

A commenter on the video reported they heard the same sounds, the same day in Ohio.

Bizarro Earth

'Weird sounds' heard over Owensboro, Kentucky

Strange sounds (stock)
On December 10, 2018, YouTube user 'Tiffany Goatee' shared video footage of strange sounds she heard in the skies on November 29, 2018:
I heard weird noises outside while watching TV and decided to record them.

Gift

'Tripped me right out': Strange sounds recorded from the sky in Edmonton, Canada

Strange sounds (stock)
YouTuber 'Rynelle trutq' uploaded footage of strange sounds she heard coming from the sky in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on December 14, 2018:

Holly

'Weird noises' heard in the skies of Greenville, South Carolina

Strange sounds - stock
© Shihao Mei/Unsplash
On December 19, 2018, YouTube user 'Sean Feighn' shared video footage of weird noises he heard in the skies of Greenville, South Carolina:

This video was taken shortly after 1 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 18th, 2018 in Greenville, SC. Heard this noise faintly from inside my house, stepped outside and took this. It was this constant sound with a lower noise similar to a helicopter rotor like sound going on for 20 minutes straight.

I increased the video volume 4x so you can hear it better. Posted it to my story on instagram and a follower of mine in the area heard it as well. No one knows what exactly it was. I've heard everything to an industrial plant, to construction, to biblical signs, to atmospheric pressure.

What really got me was this---I was looking through youtube videos of sounds in the sky in Dec. 2018 and found a video someone took in Canada of the same exact sound 2 days prior to when I heard it. Here's the link.

Please, if anyone has any explanations comment below.

Snow Globe Xmas

'Sounds like someone shaking metal': Strange sounds heard in Houston, Texas sky

Strange sounds (stock)
YouTube user 'Ana Marin' shared video footage of strange sounds she heard in the Houston, Texas sky on December 5, 2018:
We live near 288 in Houston Texas, As my kids and i got home, at around 1:30 am, we heard some really loud sounds coming from the sky, it sounded as someone was shaking giant metal sheets, we do have companies and all but they are closed at night, and the only sound that we recognize is earlier in the afternoon, but its NOT close to what is in the video...