Strange Sounds
S

Question

Loud explosion in southern Wisconsin rattles homes, 'knocks things off walls'

Mystery boom in WI
© Angela Major
Law enforcement officials Thursday afternoon were investigating an explosion in a field north of Janesville that was linked to a noise dozens of residents reported hearing Thursday morning.

Leon Brown, who lives next to the property where the explosion occurred, said a vehicle exploded around 9:30 a.m. Photos taken at the scene show the remains of what appears to be an obliterated vehicle.

Rock County 911 Communications Center Director Kathy Sukus said officials were investigating the incident in connection with the explosion noise and shaking houses in Janesville, Milton and Edgerton reported earlier.

Reporters at the scene Thursday afternoon saw several law enforcement officials and vehicles in a field north of the intersection of North Kennedy and East Manogue roads. A lone law enforcement vehicle with a trailer was spotted several dozen yards southwest of the officials.

Play

Strange sounds heard in the skies of England

Strange sounds in England
© YouTube/Rickrocklane
Strange sounds coming from the sky in England. Any ideas?

Music

Trumpeting noises heard in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Trumpet sounds in Regina, SK
© YouTube/Riddler00010
Birds hit the back of the house and heard STRANGE sounds in the sky. Who else heard it??? EEEE LOLJK

Comment: Please excuse the foul language.

Question

Strange trumpet sounds heard in Garland, Texas

Strange sounds in Garland, TX
© YouTube/jajajaja beans
Strange Trumpet Sounds from Sky in Texas:

Attention

Mysterious 'big boom' rattles windows in eastern Minnesota

Lake Elmo Inn
© Fox9
Many in the east metro are talking after a mysterious "big boom" rattled windows and nerves Tuesday night.

Now, communities in Lake Elmo are asking, just what was that sound?

Washington County Sheriff Dan Starry said the first call came in just before 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Deputies looked for the source, but couldn't find anything. And Xcel Energy said it didn't come from the Bayport power plant, either.

In Lake Elmo if you didn't hear it, you sure heard about it. Sometime after 5:15 p.m. Tuesday, the conversations quickly turned to whatever just boomed outside.

Ice Cube

Cold weather, 'frost quakes' blamed for loud booms heard in eastern Tennessee

Tri-Cities Regional Airport in TN
© Bristol Herald CourierTri-Cities Regional Airport.
Late Tuesday night, there were reports of a few loud booms around the Tri-Cities Airport. We seem to get more of these reports during the cold weather. Immediately, News 5 reached out to the Sullivan County EMA and the Tri-Cities Airport. Both said that they hadn't heard the explosion or received any reports.

It seems that this incident was highly localized, but reading a few comments on Facebook. If this did indeed happen, there's two ways that the weather could have impacted this. One of which is a frost quake. The other possibility is the cold air enhancing the sound.

Frost Quake

Frost quakes, or cryoseisms, are nothing new. In fact, they've been observed/studied since the 1800s. In 2014, there were many reports of these loud booms.

Comment: See also: Mystery boom shakes Michigan village blamed on 'frost quake'

Question

Mysterious house-shaking booms rattle Fannin County, Georgia

Mystery Boom
Residents of Fannin and Gilmer counties took to social media late Friday night trying to find the source of what is being described as a loud explosion. The boom that took place had enough force that some residents were reporting their homes shaking from the blast.

Residents took to social media to try to find the source of the noise.
Facebook post of boom in GA
Brenda Curry, a resident of Cherry Log, described what happened close to midnight on Dec. 29: "At first, I heard (and felt) one big explosion. I looked outside, because it sounded like a transformer had blown, or what I imagined a propane tank might sound like if it exploded."

"I didn't see anything," Curry stated of looking outside directly after the noise,"no fire, flames, or smoke."

Comment: See also: 64 mysterious booms heard all over the world this year. Why?

Attention

Mysterious 'explosion' heard in Potters Bar, St Albans in Hertfordshire, UK

Cranborne Rd in Potters Bar, UK
© Google Street ViewCranborne Road in Potters Bar. Picture: Google Street View.
Confusion has gripped Potters Bar after numerous residents claimed to have heard a deafening "bang" in the town last night (Wednesday)

Described by some as sounding like an "explosion", it was heard by residents in Cranborne Road, Southgate Road, Sunnybank Road, Oakmere and Little Heath, with one person claiming it even reached St Albans.

A police spokeswoman told the Welwyn Hatfield Times that they had received no official reports last night.

Some people claimed on social media that it may have been a sonic boom, but a Ministry of Defence spokesman confirmed no operations were being held in the area last night.

Members of the public also said they had spotted a cloud of smoke near Hatfield Business Park, but it is not known whether this was anything to do with the loud bang.

Hardhat

'Shook the house, shook the walls': Mysterious explosion heard in Knoxville, Tennessee

Mystery Boom
A mysterious explosion in North Knoxville left hundreds questioning on social media-what caused the boom?

People said they heard and felt it in Powell, Halls and Mascot Tuesday night, but they found no real answers as to its cause.

Neighbors suggested explanations from thunder to earthquakes, but one possibility stuck out more than the rest.

A video surfaced of at least two men who appeared to be behind some type of small explosion. They said they were blowing up a tree stump off Salem Church Road around 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Comment: The area from Powell to Mascot to Halls, Tennessee covers well over a 20-mile radius. We doubt that the sound heard across that area would be caused by a local crew downing a tree with explosives.

Comment: See also:

Question

'Weird, strange trumpet sounds' heard in Queens, New York

Strange sounds in Queens, NY
© YouTube/A Fox
*Audio Only* - I apologize about the video of my window screen, but I finally caught the noise with my phone and that's all I was concerned about. I was drifting back to sleep with my sick kid when this sound jostled me awake, I threw open the window and just let it record. (( Friday, December 15th approximately 8:30 AM. ))

This is maybe the 5th time I've heard this in the past 1.5 to 2 years. I always hear it when I'm near my home in Queens, New York. The sounds can vary but are always extremely loud coming from everywhere, lasting 5 to 10 minutes.

Interestingly enough, a few different "intuitives" that I've asked have all told me the same thing. That it's coming from the Earth because the earth puts out its own vibration and noises but only now are we actually able to hear it. The earth is going through some major shifts so it's producing these loud vibrating noises but it's nothing to fear.

Comment: We aren't so sure these trumpeting sounds are not a warning of some kind. In historical accounts chronicling cataclysmic events that occurred in Ancient Rome, similar sounds were described:
Consulship of Tiberius Gracchus and Manius Iuventius - BC 163

At Capua the sun was seen by night. On the Stellate Plain part of a flock of wethers was struck dead by a thunderbolt. At Tarracina, male triplets were born. At Formiae two suns were seen by day. The sky was afire. At Antium a man was burned up by a ray of light from a mirror. At Gabii there was a rain of milk. Several things were overthrown by lightning on the Palatine. A swan glided into the temple of Victory and eluded the grasp of those who tried to capture it. At Privernum a girl was born without any hands. In Cephallenia a trumpet seemed to sound from the sky. There was a rain of earth. A windstorm demolished houses and laid crops flat in the fields. There was frequent lightning. By night an apparent sun shone at Pisaurum. At Acere a pig was born with human hands and feet, and children were born with four feet and four hands. At Forum Aesi an ox was uninjured by flame which sprang from its own mouth.

A Book of Prodigies: After the 505th year of Rome by Julius Obsequens
See also: Strange sky sounds: Metallic, groaning, trumpet-like noises heard worldwide in 2016