Topic
People are Strange
Map

Whistle

Cop caught tripping and shoving teen girls during high school game

After a soccer game at Vandegrift High School in Austin, Texas ecstatic high school students charged the field to celebrate their team's victory; yet not all were happy.

A police officer was caught on tape kicking, tripping, and shoving several young girls and boys as they stormed the field, with one forced to leave the field limping in pain.

After video surfaced and parents responded with outrage, Georgetown police responded saying they've forwarded the case for internal "investigation," also known as investigating one's self.

Question

Airplane stowaway may have survived in 'suspended animation'

Stowaway
© Screenshot, CNN
The 16-year-old boy who survived a flight across the Pacific Ocean stowed away in an airplane's wheel well has everyone wondering just how he achieved this remarkable feat.

The teenager climbed aboard Hawaiian Airlines Flight 45 at San Jose International Airport Sunday morning (April 20) and survived the five-and-a-half-hour flight to Maui with minimal oxygen at an altitude of 38,000 feet (11,600 meters) and temperatures of about minus 80 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 62 degrees Celsius). The boy remained unconscious for most of the flight, but was unharmed, The Associated Press reported.

The teenager probably survived by entering a state of suspended animation, in which the body's metabolism slows down and requires less oxygen and energy, medical experts say.

"It is a true miracle that a lot of physicians have postulated in the past," said Dr. Evelina Grayver, a cardiologist at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, N.Y.

The boy most likely lost consciousness due to the low oxygen level as the plane ascended, and then, the low temperatures probably put his cells into a frozen state, Grayver told Live Science.

Not everyone believes the story, however. "Somebody surviving at 35,000 feet for five hours with no supplemental oxygen supply; I just don't believe it," aviation consultant Jim Nance told ABC News.
Bad Guys

American children could be terrorists, Obama adviser warns

Monaco - Obama
© Unknown
President Barack Obama receives a briefing on the Washington Navy Yard shootings from Lisa Monaco, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, in the Oval Office, Sept. 16, 2013.
White House Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Adviser Lisa Monaco has suggested that confrontational behavior in American children can turn them into terrorists.

"Parents might see sudden personality changes in their children at home - becoming confrontational," Monaco said during a speech at the Harvard Kennedy School Forum earlier this week.

"Religious leaders might notice unexpected clashes over ideological differences. Teachers might hear a student expressing an interest in traveling to a conflict zone overseas. Or friends might notice a new interest in watching or sharing violent material," she added.

"The government is rarely in position to observe these early signals, so we need to do more to help communities understand the warning signs, and then work together to intervene before an incident can occur," President Barack Obama's adviser warned.

According to Infowars.com, the US government has broadened its definition of what constitutes potential terrorism to such a degree that the term has lost all meaning and is clearly being used as a political tool to demonize adversarial political activism.

"President Obama has been laser-focused on making sure we use all the elements of our national power to protect Americans, including developing the first government-wide strategy to prevent violent extremism in the United States," Monaco said. "At the same time, we recognize that there are limits to what the federal government can do."

The counterterrorism chief also urged local communities to share some responsibility in awareness of possible terrorist threats within the United States.
Stormtrooper

California TV station films dog calmly playing with kids after cop shoots himself trying to kill it

california-dog
© KNBC
A California deputy accidentally shot himself while trying to kill a dog that he said was threatening his life on Wednesday, but video captured by a local television station later showed the animal much smaller than reported and peacefully playing with children.

According to a Riverside County sheriff's spokesperson, the deputy was serving an eviction notice at around 2 p.m. on Wednesday when a "large" dog tried to attack him, KCAL reported.

"A dog came at the deputy in an aggressive manner," Deputy Armando Munoz said, according to The Press-Enterprise. "The deputy, (attempting to defend himself) pulled his service weapon, shot one round, and injured himself in the leg."

"He's OK. He has non life-threatening injuries."

Munoz said that the dog's aggressive behavior ended when it was startled by the gunfire.

When KNBC film crews arrived on the scene later on Wednesday, they found a medium-sized pit bull - named "Precious" - confined to a pen, and calmly playing with several children. The dog's owner admitted that it had been barking when the officer arrived.

Animal Services did not take the dog into custody because there was no evidence it or the owner had done anything wrong.

Watch the video below from KNBC, broadcast April 16, 2014.
Smiley

New Jersey German Shepherd gets called to jury duty!

IV Griner
© WKYW-TV
IV Griner of Bridgeton, NJ, pictured, has been ordered to report to jury duty in Cumberland County.
Bridgeton - Could this prospective juror take a bite out of crime?

Cumberland County, N.J., has summoned IV Griner to jury duty. The only problem is that IV is a 5-year-old German shepherd.

Her owner tells KYW-TV in Philadelphia he sorted out the confusion soon after the summons arrived at his Bridgeton home.

The dog's owner is Barrett Griner IV. He uses the Roman numeral for four in his name. He named his dog using the letters "I'' and "V."

The county's judiciary coordinator says the computer likely mistook the Roman numeral for Griner's first name and mailed the summons.

Source: Associated Press
Pistol

Missouri authorities search for serial freeway shooter

© AP/Kansas City Star
Missouri authorities are asking for federal helping in catching a serial shooter.

They're trying to find out who's behind more than a dozen sniper-like attacks on drivers on Kansas City freeways over the past month.

Three drivers have been wounded by gunfire as they drove along area highways, many in an area called the Three Trails Crossing, where three interstate highways intersect.

Ten of the 13 shootings happened in Kansas City, including Sunday evening when a 56-year-old man was eastbound on Interstate 435 near I-470 when he was shot in the left calf.

"I was freaking out, making sure he called 911."
Eye 2

16 year-old Pennsylvania high school student goes on stabbing spree; 22 classmates wounded

© AP
With only two common kitchen knives in tow, 16-year-old Alex Hribal chased his Franklin Regional Senior High School classmates in a stabbing spree Wednesday morning. As witnesses describe the incident, many reacted slowly to the school's fire alarm, expecting a common fire drill. By the time Hribal was subdued, 22 people in all had been wounded.

As sophomore Cameron Lazor described the experience, the image of a classmate attempting to wrestle the kitchen knife out of Hribal's hands looked like "a group of boys being immature and fighting," but the blood made obvious Hribal's intentions. Others described turning down a hallway to see a flock of students running away as Hribal hacked at anyone in reach. Doctors say most of the people Hribal slashed did not realize at the time what was happening and did not see the knife attack coming.

It was just before the start of class and the hallways were packed with students at their lockers or chatting with friends.
Stormtrooper

Police raid woman's home because she purchased organic plant food

DEA stormed home
© missellyrh
DEA agents stormed the home of Shorewood artist Angela Kirking at 5am on October 11th after an agent spotted her shopping at Midwest Hydroganics, an indoor garden center they had been staking out.

The Shorewood Patch reports: During the agent's stakeout, the agent noticed Kirking "exit the front door of the store carrying a green plastic bag containing unknown items."

The agent followed Kirking from Midwest Hydroganics back to her home in Shorewood, Illinois. The agent later acquired her electric bills from February 2013 through September. The agent then compared Kirking's bill to two of her neighbors, and noticed her bills were "consistently higher," according to the complaint for the search warrant.

An "investigative garbage pull" was performed at Kirking's residence three weeks later, at 4:15am, the complaint said. After scavenging through her trash, the agents allegedly reported finding "multiple green plant stems" that smelled strongly of "green cannabis."

Three days later agents and police pulled Kirking's husband over while leaving for work at 4:50 a.m., according to the police report. The husband was then presented with the search warrant and was asked to unlock this front door and give them access to the home.

Even though Kirking's husband cooperated agents entered the home with guns drawn according to his wife.
Info

Swedish politician becomes a beggar for 5 hours: 'Only children looked at me'

Nikoletta Jozsa
© Tidningen Nu
Nikoletta Jozsa.
A Swedish local politician who pretended to be a beggar for five hours tells The Local about the shame, the physical pain, and being seen only by passing children and the few people who photographed her "like an object".

Nikoletta Jozsa was elected to municipal office in Järfälla, northern Stocholm, three years ago. Originally a social worker who volunteers in a soup kitchen in her spare time, Jozsa says she felt she had to experience what beggars in Sweden go through.

Pulling on a pair of jeans and a warm jacket, she headed to Drottninggatan, a main shopping fare in central Stockholm that is usually thronged with people.

"I was terrified. My first thought was, ''I'm going back home'," Jozsa tells The Local. "I stood there for so long hesitating before I sat down, until I felt I just had to do it. And when I was finally sitting, the first thing I felt was shame."

Unable to even look up, she sat pondering how she had made herself so vulnerable to other people. In the end, she looked up, but was saddened even more when she did.

"What upset me the most is that I no longer existed. People would either almost walk into me, because they hadn't seen me, or they'd make big detours to avoid me," she explains. "I'm not sure which was worse...."

"And some people would pull their kids away from me," says Jozsa, whose voice breaks down in a sob. "And that was the thing, if there was someone who saw me, who looked at me and looked in my eyes, it was always the children."
Stormtrooper

NATO commander says US troops may be deployed to Europe over Ukrainian crisis

Us troops
© AFP Photo
The United States Air Force commander in charge of the NATO alliance's military presence in Europe said on Wednesday this week that US troops may soon be deployed to the region as tensions continue to worsen near the border between Ukraine and Russia.

In an interview with the Associated Press, US Air Force Gen. Philip Breedlove said that forthcoming plans intended to ensure stability in Europe for the NATO partners in the area could involve the mobilizing of American troops.

Representatives from the 28 countries involved in the multinational organization have asked Breedlove - a four-star general who has since last year served as the supreme allied commander of NATO's European operations - to have a plan ready by early next week, according to the AP's John-Thor Dahlburg, to reassure partners in the region "that other alliance countries have their back."

Breedlove told the newswire that he has every intention of unveiling his proposal ahead of next Tuesday's deadline, and that he wouldn't "write off involvement by any nation, to include the United States."