Society's Child
Map


Handcuffs

Sex offender yells Go Cowboys! as he's executed

© Myspace
Jesse Joe Hernandez
A convicted child sex offender was executed Wednesday in Texas for the beating death of a 10-month-old boy he was baby-sitting at a home in Dallas.

Jesse Joe Hernandez smiled and laughed at times before receiving a lethal injection for the slaying of Karlos Borja 11 years ago.

"God bless everybody. Continue to walk with God," the 47-year-old Hernandez said. Moments later, he shouted "Go Cowboys!" in honor of his favorite football team.

As the drugs took effect, the condemned man repeated his appreciation for those he knew who had gathered to witness the execution. "Love y'all, man," Hernandez said. "... Thank you. I can feel it, taste it. It's not bad."

He took about 10 deep breaths, which grew progressively weaker until he was no longer moving. Ten minutes later, at 6:18 p.m. CDT, he was pronounced dead.
Pistol

911 caller arrested after cops gun down unarmed black teen

Police shooting victim Kendrec McDade, 19.
© Screenshot via CBS 2 in Los Angeles
Police shooting victim Kendrec McDade, 19.

At a press conference Wednesday in Pasadena, California, police announced that they have arrested a man who called 911 earlier this week, claiming he'd been robbed at gunpoint by two black teens. Police responded to the incident with deadly force, killing 19-year-old college student Kendrec McDade after he fled from officers.

The 911 caller, Oscar Carillo, allegedly admitted under questioning that he lied about the firearm to trigger a faster police response.

Police claim that once they cornered McDade, he reached for his waistband. Believing he was armed, two officers opened fire and hit the teen multiple times. He died a short time later at Huntington Hospital.
Attention

Lockerbie Bomber Could Have Walked Free Says Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission Report


Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi boards a plane for Tripoli from Glasgow after his release in 2009
The Sunday Herald today publishes the full 800-page report detailing why the man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing could have walked free.

The controversial report from the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC) has remained secret for five years because, until now, no-one had permission to publish it.

The Sunday Herald and its sister paper, The Herald, are the only newspapers in the world to have seen the report. We choose to publish it because we have the permission of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, the Libyan convicted of the bombing, and because we believe it is in the public interest to disseminate the whole document.

The Sunday Herald has chosen to publish the full report online today at www.heraldscotland.com to allow the public to see for themselves the evidence which could have resulted in the acquittal of Megrahi. Under Section 32 of the Data Protection Act, journalists can publish in the public interest.

We have made very few redactions to protect the names of confidential sources and private information.

The publication of the report adds weight to calls for a full public inquiry into the atrocity - something many of the relatives have been campaigning for for more than two decades.

Megrahi has today also sent a copy of the full report to Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill, who released him on compassionate grounds in August 2009.
Airplane

TSA Manager Arrested for Running Prostitution Ring

© Unknown
Bryant Livingston was arrested at his job at Dulles International Airport where he worked as a morning shift manager.
Silver Spring, Maryland - Montgomery County Police have arrested a TSA manager for running a prostitution ring out of a Silver Spring hotel. Bryant Livingston was arrested at his job at Dulles International Airport where he worked as a morning shift manager.

Hotel employees were suspicious of activity and called police.

When Montgomery County Police arrived and knocked on the hotel room door they saw three naked women in a room and four men. One man admitted to police he had arrived with the promise of sex for $100.
Attention

For iPhone and Android Users, This Video Is Absolutely Horrifying

Code Breaking
© Minyanville
Hack be nimble!

No matter how many times they're warned, far too many folks refuse to adopt complicated passwords. Seemingly on a monthly basis, studies find that "Password" and "ABC123" continue to top the list of most commonly used passwords and, in turn, the most commonly hacked passwords. And if you're the type of user who spreads the same password across email, social media, banking, and commerce sites, you've pretty much opened your entire identity to anyone with an internet connection.

Even iPhone users have taken the easy route when choosing a four-digit passcode to unlock their device. According to a study from last June, "1234" is by far the most common iPhone passcode around. (Cue the appropriate Spaceballs quote now.)

And for Android users, gaining full access to a Droid could be as easy as holding the screen up to the light to reveal a smudge pattern.

But those who've adopted unique and complicated, yet memorable, passwords are still not immune from security breaches. As scary as it sounds, one need only physical access to your mobile device -- be it a password-protected iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, or BlackBerry -- to gain total control of your phone and the files within. As Swedish security firm Micro Systemation shows in a video, a lightweight program and a USB cable are all anyone needs to access your information.

And that technique is not only being used by ne'er-do-well hackers. It's being used by police and military worldwide.
Nuke

Chernobyl, 25 years since the nuclear disaster: Striking images of the Chernobyl disaster

chernobyl
© RIA Novosti
Dmitry Dmitriyev, a radiation exposure inspector in the clean-up operation, during rare minutes of rest. This image was published around the world, becoming a symbol of the clean-up workers' heavy burden.

© RIA Novosti
The explosion at reactor four scattered radioactive debris in a large area around the unit, especially the roof of neighboring reactor three. The conscripts who had to clean the roof were given the nickname "biorobots."
Dollar

California Democratic Treasurer Perpetrated $7M Fraud

© The Associated Press/Henry Vandermeir
Kinde Durkee
US, Sacramento, California - Democratic campaign treasurer Kinde Durkee defrauded at least 50 candidates, officeholders and political organizations out of $7 million in a scheme that dates back more than a decade, according to a court filing made Tuesday by federal prosecutors.

The U.S. attorney's office in Sacramento filed the additional charges in federal court, providing the most detailed account to date in a case that has left some Democratic candidates scrambling for campaign cash in an election year.

Such filings typically are a prelude to a plea, but prosecutors would not confirm such a development or offer any further details.

Durkee, who heads Durkee & Associates in Burbank, was arrested in September and charged with suspicion of mail fraud after millions of dollars disappeared from the campaign accounts of U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, other Democratic members of Congress and several Democratic state lawmakers.

The filing details a complex shell game in which Durkee shifted campaign money to cover an array of personal and business expenses.
Document

Former Mountie Accuses RCMP of Bullying, Discrimination in Class-Action Lawsuit

© Chad Hipolito / The Globe and Mail
A framed photo of recently graduate RCMP Constable Janet Merlo in August, 1991, seen here at her home in Nanaimo,BC, left the force in 2010 after years of dealing with sexual harassment issues that the force ignored.
Canada: Vancouver, British Columiba - A former Mountie has launched a class-action lawsuit against the RCMP, hoping to purge the "toxic" attitude against women within the male-dominated force, her lawyer says.

David Klein says more than 100 current and former female members from across Canada are preparing to stand behind the lawsuit alleging widespread sexual harassment.

The suit was filed Tuesday in B.C. Supreme Court on behalf of Janet Merlo and alleges she was subjected to persistent and ongoing gender-based discrimination by male members.

The 19-year-veteran spent most of her career at the Nanaimo, B.C., detachment on the east coast of Vancouver Island and said the harassment started in 1992, just months into her job.

The lawsuit alleges she endured a series of sexist comments, sexual pranks, derogatory remarks and double standards.

In one instance, the court documents say she told her supervisor she was pregnant and he yelled at her.

"You had better get your priorities straight. You are either going to have a career in the RCMP, or you are going to pop out kids your whole life," the unnamed officer said. "I have a suggestion for you; next time, keep your (expletive) legs closed."
Arrow Down

Americans Angry with Obama Over Gas Prices

© Reuters/Larry Downing
US - More than two-thirds of Americans disapprove of the way President Barack Obama is handling high gasoline prices, although most do not blame him for them, according to a Reuters/Ipsos online poll released on Tuesday.

Sixty-eight percent disapprove and 24 percent approve of how Obama is responding to price increases that have become one of the biggest issues in the 2012 presidential campaign.

In the past month, U.S. fuel prices have jumped about $0.30 per gallon to about $3.90 and the Republicans seeking to replace the Democrat in the November 6 election have seized upon the issue to attack his energy policies.

The disapproval reaches across party lines, potentially spelling trouble for Obama in the election, although the online survey showed voters hold oil companies or foreign countries more accountable than politicians for the price spike.

"Obama is getting heat for it but people aren't necessarily blaming him for it," said Chris Jackson, research director for Ipsos public affairs.

Majorities of Republicans, Democrats and independents all disapprove of the president's handling of gas prices, according to the online poll of 606 Americans conducted March 26-27.

Eighty-nine percent of Republicans said they disapproved, as did 52 percent of Democrats and 73 percent of independents.

"People are unhappy that they are having to pay $3.90 a gallon. They want somebody to be able to lash out at and the president is as good a person as anybody," Jackson said.
Magic Hat

Conspiracy charges dropped against Mich. militia


The trial of seven Hutaree militia members arrested for allegedly plotting to launch an insurrection against the government begins in Detroit.
A federal judge dismissed the most serious charges Tuesday against seven members of a Michigan militia who were rounded up as homegrown extremists accused of plotting war against the U.S., saying their expressed hatred of law enforcement didn't amount to conspiracy against the government.

The decision is an embarrassment for the government, which secretly planted an informant and an FBI agent inside the Hutaree militia four years ago and claimed members were armed for war in rural southern Michigan.

U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts granted requests for acquittal on the most serious charges: conspiring to commit sedition, or rebellion, against the U.S. and conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction. Other weapons crimes tied to the alleged conspiracies also were dismissed.

"There are very few judges that have this kind of courage," defense lawyer Michael Rataj said.

The trial, which began Feb. 13, will resume this week with only a few gun charges remaining against militia leader David Stone and son Joshua Stone, both from Lenawee County, Mich.

"The court is aware that protected speech and mere words can be sufficient to show a conspiracy. In this case, however, they do not rise to that level," the judge said.

Comment: Mixed nuts anyone?

Top