Society's Child
Map

People

New laws in 2014: From banning aerial drones to legal marijuana

Image
© AP
Unmanned Predator drone
If you're a pale 17-year-old in Illinois, get your indoor tanning sessions in now. Starting Wednesday, they're strictly forbidden.

A new state law takes effect Jan. 1 that bans anyone under 18 from using tanning salons in the Land of Lincoln. Illinois becomes the sixth state to keep teens out of the facilities, part of a growing trend of regulating tanning facilities to help reduce the risk of skin cancer, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), a Washington-based group that tracks lawmaking.

The new measure is one of an estimated 40,000 new laws, regulations and resolutions approved by state legislatures in 2013, many of which take effect Jan. 1. Among them:

- Arkansas voters must now show a photo ID at polling places, while Virginia voters for the first time will be able to register online.

- In Colorado, 16-year-olds will be able to pre-register to vote, but must still wait until they're 18 to vote.

- California students must be allowed to play school sports and use school bathrooms "consistent with their gender identity," regardless of their birth identity.

- In Oregon, new mothers will now be able to take their placentas home from the hospital - some experts say ingesting it has positive health benefits. Another new state law bans smoking in motor vehicles when children are present.

- Minimum-wage increases take effect in four northeastern states: Connecticut's rises to $8.70 an hour; New Jersey's to $8.25; and New York's and Rhode Island's to $8. In nine other states, the minimum wage rises automatically because it's indexed to inflation.

Family

China formally eases one-child policy, abolishes labor camps

Image
© Reuters
People walk outside a labour camp in Kunming, Yunnan province, November 22, 2013.
China formally approved on Saturday easing its decades-long one-child policy and the abolition of a controversial labor camp system, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

Both were among a sweeping raft of reforms announced last month after a meeting of the ruling Communist Party that mapped out policy for the next decade.

Under the new policy, couples will be allowed to have two children if one of the parents is an only child. Previously, a couple could generally only have a second child if both parents were only children.

Gift 2

Hacker took over BBC server, tried to 'sell' access on Christmas Day

Image
© Reuters/Luke McGregor
A hacker secretly took over a computer server at the BBC, Britain's public broadcaster, and then launched a Christmas Day campaign to convince other cyber criminals to pay him for access to the system.

While it is not known if the hacker found any buyers, the BBC's security team responded to the issue on Saturday and believes it has secured the site, according to a person familiar with the cleanup effort.

A BBC spokesman declined to discuss the incident. "We do not comment on security issues," he said.

Reuters could not determine whether the hackers stole data or caused any damage in the attack, which compromised a server that manages an obscure password-protected website.

It was not clear how the BBC, the world's oldest and largest broadcaster, uses that site, ftp.bbc.co.uk, though ftp systems are typically used to manage the transfer of large data files over the Internet.

The attack was first identified by Hold Security LLC, a cybersecurity firm in Milwaukee that monitors underground cyber-crime forums in search of stolen information.

The firm's researchers observed a notorious Russian hacker known by the monikers "HASH" and "Rev0lver," attempting to sell access to the BBC server on December 25, the company's founder and chief information security officer, Alex Holden, told Reuters.

Bomb

16 killed in suicide bombing in Russia's south

© AP Photo/Nikita Baryshev,Volgograd Mayor's Office Handout
In this photo taken on a cell phone, made available by Volgograd Mayor's Office, bodies lie at an entrance to Volgograd railway station, Sunday, Dec. 29, 2013. More then a dozen people were killed and scores were wounded Sunday by a suicide bomber at a railway station in southern Russia, officials said, heightening concern about terrorism ahead of February's Olympics in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.
Moscow -- A suicide bomber struck a busy railway station in southern Russia on Sunday, killing at least 15 people and wounding scores more, officials said, in a stark reminder of the threat Russia is facing as it prepares to host February's Olympics in Sochi.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the bombing in Volgograd, but it came several months after Chechen rebel leader Doku Umarov called for new attacks against civilian targets in Russia, including the Sochi Games.

Suicide bombings have rocked Russia for years, but many have been contained to the North Caucasus, the center of an insurgency seeking an Islamist state in the region. Until recently Volgograd was not a typical target, but the city formerly known as Stalingrad has now been struck twice in two months - suggesting militants may be using the transportation hub as a renewed way of showing their reach outside their restive region.

Volgograd, which lies close to volatile Caucasus provinces, is 900 kilometers (550 miles) south of Moscow and about 650 kilometers (400 miles) northeast of Sochi, a Black Sea resort flanked by the North Caucasus Mountains.

Newspaper

Saudi royal faces death penalty for murder

© Reuters
Saudi Arabia Deputy Minister of Defense Prince Salman bin Sultan (front L), arrives for a meeting with U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel at the Radisson Hotel in Manama December 6, 2013
A Saudi prince who murdered a fellow Saudi may be executed, a newspaper reported on Sunday, in a rare example of a member of the kingdom's ruling family facing the death penalty.

The English-language Arab News did not name the prince or his victim, but said a senior member of the family and government, Crown Prince Salman, had "cleared the way for the possible execution of a prince convicted of murdering a Saudi citizen".

In a message about the case to Interior Minister Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, Prince Salman said: "Sharia (Islamic law) shall be applied to all without exception", the daily reported.

Arrow Down

Milwaukee officer who forced dozens of anal cavity searches for fun gets only 2 years in prison

© Police State USA
Milwaukee Officer Michael Vagnini.
A disgusting scandal involving police officers performing illegal anal cavity searches with the intent to "degrade and humiliate" dozens and dozens of victims has come to an apparent conclusion, which some feel amounts to little more than a slap on the wrists for those involved.

Between February 2010 and February 2012, a small group of Milwaukee officers took part in a string of serial assaults on subjects pulled off the streets. In many cases, the officers demanded the subjects produce the drugs they assumed were being hidden somewhere on their person.

When they were not satisfied with the cooperation from the subjects, an officer would jam his hand into the subject's underpants, touch his genitals, and insert a finger into his anus on the side of the road. Some of the complaints stated that drugs were planted during these searches. At least one complainant was a juvenile, and one stated that he was fingered so hard that his anus bled afterwards.

The group's ringleader was Milwaukee Officer Michael Vagnini, assisted primarily by three other officers; Jeffrey Dollhopf, Brian Kozelek and Jacob Knight. Although 7 officers and one supervisor were originally suspended, the four officers mentioned above were the men the district attorney felt had enough involvement to pursue legal actions against.

Officer Vagnini was the the one who directly performed the searches with his hand; the others were present and assisted with detaining the victims, holding them down, provided Vagnini cover while molested them, and then failed to report the crimes to superiors in the department.

Padlock

Brooklyn's Kings Plaza Mall: Anyone under 18 banned, unless accompanied by an adult

Image
© CBS News
Kings Plaza Shopping Center
A melee at Kings Plaza Shopping Center in Brooklyn the day after Christmas was captured on cellphone video.

According to police, the flash mob involving as many as 300 teenagers, mostly 15 and 16 years old, began a short time before the Mill Basin mall closed at 9 p.m. on Thursday.

Social media quickly erupted with all kinds of rumors, prompting an email from the 63rd Precinct Community Affairs office, denying there was a riot, any injuries, or significant damage, CBS 2′s Tony Aiello reported Friday.

"Take the jar and broke the one jar, like $50 damage candy and the jar. It's like almost $100 damage for me," one candy kiosk owner said.

Police responded to the mall and escorted the teens out. No arrests were made. It was unclear how the mob of teenagers came together or planned the disturbance.

Mall employees like Greg Casiano told CBS 2′s Tracee Carrasco they had to close up shop early as police and mall security got the melee under control.

"When I saw outside, downstairs I was looking and I saw a mob, several kids fighting yesterday and its too much," Casiano said. "A lot of kids running, and I'm hearing screaming so the security guard said there's a little security issue, you have to bring down the gates to keep the consumers, our customers safe."

Penis Pump

Meth crazed masturbating man finally subdued in bar after taser's fail

© Marion County Sheriff's office
Andrew Frey
A Beaverton man was arrested following a string of erratic outbursts that culminated in the suspect allegedly masturbating in a Salem roadhouse, officials said.

It took a Taser and more than a dozen officers on Sunday to finally subdue Andrew Frey inside Iggy's Bar & Grill on Portland Road Northeast, the Marion County Sheriff's office said.

The 37-year-old man later told authorities he had used methamphetamine the day before and had no recollection of the alleged wild behavior, according to officials.

The brouhaha began around 1 p.m. when sheriff's deputies started receiving reports of man acting bizarrely in the 9000 block of Brooklake Road Northeast, officials said.

The man, identified as Frey, had allegedly called a locksmith and later refused to pay the worker for his services, Marion County officials said.

After allegedly stiffing the locksmith, Frey wandered over to Brook's Market and refused to leave, officials said. An employee at the market had to eventually escort the alleged suspect off of the property, who then made his way to Iggy's Bar & Grill.

Newspaper

Five headless bodies found in western Mexico


Authorities found five decapitated bodies in western Mexico, with letters left with the corpses purportedly signed by a drug cartel, officials said.

The bodies, with their heads laying nearby, were found shortly before dawn on Saturday, in two different locations in Michoacan state, a region struggling with gang turf wars.

Three headless corpses were found on a bridge's traffic circle in Tarimbaro, a suburb of Morelia, the state's capital, said Michoacan chief prosecutor Marco Vinicio Aguilera.

"A knife that may have been used to cut the heads was found in the area," he told AFP.

Around an hour later, two more were found in a Morelia public square, with the heads on a sidewalk a little further away, Aguilera said.

Ambulance

Rescue squad volunteer suspended for breaking rules to help sick child

Image

Stephen Sawyer
Ellenville First Aid and Rescue Squad volunteer Stephen Sawyer admits he broke the rules when he transported a 4-year-old who was having seizures to the hospital. That's not the problem. The rules are the problem.

When EMT and squad leader, Sawyer, received a call on December 11 around 11 a.m. at the Webster Street headquarters about a 4-year-old having seizures, a paramedic was dispatched and a call for an ambulance placed, reports Times Herald-Record. Finding an available ambulance proved difficult and after 15 minutes, Sawyer decided he could not wait any longer.

Squad rules state an ambulance driver must be over the age of 21. Sawyer is 20, with experience driving ambulances for Mobile Life. He ignored the squad rule and drove nearly 5 miles, picked up the child, his mother, and the paramedic and got them to Ellenville Regional Hospital without any problems occurring.

That is, until he was awakened later that night by his squad captain asking about the incident.

"I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night or go to school knowing there's a 4-year-old suffering," Sawyer said to Times Herald-Record.